Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 November 17 - Changes to ESD
11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I could do without the "Hotel signs" they look very unofficial compared to the old signs.


Shipyard:

Shipyard Customization, ship needs to be in the center.

Consoles are within consoles and looks half-a...well like someone didn't care.


NPC Vendors:

Many having White Boxes over their heads.

Promotion Area:

Missing Staricase makes it uneven, art team really needs to redo that entire area.


STF Vendors:

Stuck in a loop and only way to exit the vendors is clicking on the Top Right - Key.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I could do without the cheap Hotel signs that looked like a 7 year old drew them.


Shipyard:

Shipyard Customization, ship needs to be in the center.

Consoles are within consoles and looks half-a...well like someone didn't care.


NPC Vendors:

Many having White Boxes over their heads.

Promotion Area:

Missing Staricase makes it uneven, art team really needs to redo that entire area.


STF Vendors:

Stuck in a loop and only way to exit the vendors is clicking on the Top Right - Key.
Thomas TC made the new icons...

I'm sure he's kinda proud of them... Lets not be too harsh, shall we??

Though they do leave a lot to be desired.

I like the stateroom the way it is now... Kinda opens up the whole area.

Perhaps it needs a couple of Balcony boxes on the one side now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry if it insulted Thomas, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. To me the old signs were much more Starfleet, while the new ones are more what you see downtown.

As for the Stateroom, might as well move that down to StarFleet Academy since it's an auditorium setting. And repurpose that area for something else, like a real Medical Center than the closet by Admin.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm sorry if it insulted Thomas, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. To me the old signs were much more Starfleet, while the new ones are more what you see downtown.

As for the Stateroom, might as well move that down to StarFleet Academy since it's an auditorium setting. And repurpose that area for something else, like a real Medical Center than the closet by Admin.
Wasn't saying you should sugar coat things... just remember there's folks with feelings at the other end..

Though I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment about the icons, the way you edited the post is much more agreeable.



Having an actual Medical Center on ESD is a Great Idea.

I agree with that suggestion also.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I'm sorry if it insulted Thomas, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. To me the old signs were much more Starfleet, while the new ones are more what you see downtown.

As for the Stateroom, might as well move that down to StarFleet Academy since it's an auditorium setting. And repurpose that area for something else, like a real Medical Center than the closet by Admin.
OMG --- are you serious? There are so many broken things that really need fixing. I am tired of Cryptic wasting resources 'fixing' things that are not broken. We can't even sit in chairs and you want all of the Stateroom and Med center overhauled from the ground up? WTH for? What does any kind of player (RP, PVP, etc) gain from that? I'm sorry if I'm a little 'hot' in my response, but I would be interested to hear a real answer/discussion from you on what you think the value is in massive changes to ESD like the ones you have proposed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
OMG --- are you serious? There are so many broken things that really need fixing. I am tired of Cryptic wasting resources 'fixing' things that are not broken. We can't even sit in chairs and you want all of the Stateroom and Med center overhauled from the ground up? WTH for? What does any kind of player (RP, PVP, etc) gain from that? I'm sorry if I'm a little 'hot' in my response, but I would be interested to hear a real answer/discussion from you on what you think the value is in massive changes to ESD like the ones you have proposed.
Whoaaa.. it was just a suggestion...,

I don't think the poster meant for it to be something moved to the top of the TO-DO list right away.

WOW..., the Frustration Level is starting to sky-rocket around here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-21-2011, 09:38 AM
As I've said in all the other threads on this topic, I don't care for the new signage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think the location icons deserve such a harsh comment. They are well done, but they don't fit at all. They are the wrong style for the setting of ESD. They would probably fit the general setting and atmosphere better on Risa at a resort or something.

What I like about them, however is the way they stick out and flicker, i think that is nice, but would definitely look better with a sharper, no-nonsense art style. I remember looking at the interact icons at the bank/mail and thinking how that kind of sharpness and style would be better for the ESD location icons than their current style.

The map icons for the various vendors and services could use a similar treatment, though I'm not sure I care as much about them as the location icons on the walls.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
I don't think the location icons deserve such a harsh comment. They are well done, but they don't fit at all. They are the wrong style for the setting of ESD. They would probably fit the general setting and atmosphere better on Risa at a resort or something.
This, they are nice enough just don't fit into a starfleet base setting...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
A lot of the new icons are way too cartoony. I can't accept that Starfleet would actually put something like that up on the wall. The art style needs to take into account the illusion that this is a real organization. The ship yard icon in particular, I think just looks ridiculous. It's not so much that the icons are bad, but some of them belong in Champions online, not Star Trek.

In general, we need icons more reminiscent of what would be seen in an Okudagram. It would be better to just have monchrome bluish icons with black background. It would fit better.

Some of the icons are OK, such as the Admiral, Transporter, Sickbay, State Room. Shipyard and Requisitions are really bad. The others are somewhere in the middle, but mostly passable.

The arrow icons look very out of place to me. They are way too bright and gaudy. I don't feel they match Star Trek decor at all. It would be an improvement just to remove the arrows and center the icons over the door. I think it's pretty obvious that the things over the door indicate what is through the door, the arrow is unnecessary.

On the connecting sections of the station (between each quadrant), having two icons above two other icons looks really bad. I suggest only having the two that are through the nearby door on the wall, and removing the ones that are for the far door. It's obvious if what you want isn't through that door, that you need to try the other one. And, in the worst case scenario if someone gets lost they'll still reach their destination eventually, so it's not that important.

I don't like how some of the parts of the station are now lit so dimly either. It was better before. I don't understand why that was changed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.