Lt. Commander
I just seen the new holographic signs on ESD, and I must say:

Do you think this is champions Cryptic?

I mean, about launch everything was cartoonish, and looked like colored rubber, wich was kinda fine cause it was an emergency solution being carried over from champions, and you did fix it over time, by making textures and models more realistic and detailed over time.

So why are you doing the exact oppersite now? Making simplified signs, that don't even fit into the current surroundings??

I know you want to please your new Overlords, and that is completely understandable, but you know that some of your new asian customers are also Trek fans, and as such will not like that you add cartoon elements to an enviorment that they kinda expect to carry a mature feeling.

Not every of your new players is an anime fan... I belive that is a little sterotype, and it seems a bit odd that you would choose to de-evolve the enviroment like that.

I am aware that you are alot stronger in making cartoonish, and at times more childish appearences. I know from making webpages, that it is easier to create such simple graphics for kids than the more sophisticated visuals, but this just dosn't go.

PLEASE: make them more visually pleasing, and mature.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
My thoughts exactly, too cartoonish. I'm not saying they aren't nice enough looking on there own and if this were a different game...but they just don't fit in STO. Sorry if it means the work put into them is wasted but I really hope these get changed...the old signs as actual panels made sense but now it's just getting too goofy.

A couple of the general logo holograms don't seem to bad but the rest and the new overhead icons...too much.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
ha! As soon as I saw them I told my fleet they looked like they belonged in Family Guy... Now ESD looks like Starfleet has neglected it AND turned it in to a joke
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Which ones specifically do you have problems with? The only one that might be a bit too 'stylized' for me is the shipyard starship, but I don't mind it too much and it looks fine when modified into the other ship-related icons.

I personally don't mind the overhead icons, they're small enough and have a sort of LCARS border.

The only part that jumps out at me is the color-coded signs, which look too bright and simple, like they haven't been given the art pass the other icons have. I have a feeling they're just placeholder until they're given a more appropriate look.

I would like for the font to be updated, though. We have so much trekish font in-game that some standard old serif-lettering seems out of place. And 'Admiral' should say 'Admiral's Office' like it used to.

Edit: You know what it might be, it could be the thick black lines. On the phaser, I see them as simple breaks between the light-colored segments of the icon, but to other people it might seem less negative space and more outline. Especially on the starship icon, the lines can seem cartoonish, but all of its variants don't have this problem because they don't have thick black lines at all. I would guess that people might think icons like the bank one look cartoonish too because of the lines. But the medical icon and starfleet badge don't have these lines at all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Yea... I need to elaborate on that... Esthetically the icons are pleasing, no doubt about that. What bothers me is that they do not fit into the Star Trek enviroment, wich Cryptic has to a high degree succeeded in approaching theese past months (would have said few, but 10 months arent few), especially with the recent upgrades to ESD.

But:
  • Shipyard icon: Shouldn be a clearly drawn comic-style icon. A MSD like icon would be more fitting.
  • Requsitions icon: Again... Clearly a comic-style icon. The Phaser is in its own right a good icon, but it should be a ingame shot of a phaser or somthing like that. I do however read it as "Armory", rather than requsitions.
  • Bank: Meh... not sure I'd come up with somthing better. But I think they may try experimenting with using the C-Store icon instead? (debateable).
  • Gear/console icons at vendors: nononono... Looks like a fat console with 3 buttons... This is a "go home and try agian"... (For example, look at the STF guy closest to quinns office)
  • The Direction arrows: While the concept is cool, they are out of place. Cook it down to just the arrows, remove the colored background, and apply the colors to the arrows instead, and make it holographic, like the rest of the signs.
  • About all the icons hovering over people: I disliked them from day one, but i see why they are nessacary. But if they HAVE to be there, why not use the same system as with interactable icons? Transparent instead of black background?
  • Fhoss icon (commodoties) and Ferengi Collector: Really? Another cartoon icon? Make it like the inventory in the C-Store... Copy it for all I care.
  • Club 47: While this is also a comic-style icon, I actually belive that this is more than satisfactory. Leave it.
  • Exchange: I don't think you can ever approach a proper exchange icon for trek, since economy is such a far away topic. I like this one.
  • Transporter, sickbay and Stateroom: In a word: Perfect

I could'n find Winters, so not sure if theres anything to nitpick about him.

Another way of making icons more mature, is to spend more than 6 minutes pr icon, and add some detail to them.

And while I am nitpicking: PLEASE... is it so hard to use a single font? Admiral with Serif's, while all other text is Sans-Serif... You should know better than this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Doesn't Paramount or CBS have to approve things. I find it hard to believe they would approve this and/or that this is just a size placement test. I will have to hold judgement until I hear from a mod.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlava646 View Post
Doesn't Paramount or CBS have to approve things. I find it hard to believe they would approve this and/or that this is just a size placement test. I will have to hold judgement until I hear from a mod.
I take it you weren't here at game launch?
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlava646 View Post
they only approve things like new ships, or use of series/movie characters in game. you know, like all those new ships we are getting.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I am in agreement, I liked the old signs much much better.

If we had the old ESD perhaps I could see these signs there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Shrvk
I am in agreement, I liked the old signs much much better.

If we had the old ESD perhaps I could see these signs there.
I agree. I prefer the mroe 'mature' appearing signs on holodeck.

The new signs, while cool, are not TREK enough for me.

With all due respect, please do not use the new signs.