Lt. Commander
# 1 Season 5 Dev Diary #1
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Stephen recaps all of the updates coming to Holodeck, and announces a name for Season 5 in the first installment of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the Article
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
So not going with S4.1, eh? Right to S5? Okaaay....

It's interesting to "hear" the PR-spin on the "Tribble F2P Build".

A Call to Arms? Really? That's what you're going with?

Meh... I'm whelmed.

Edit: Oh, and First!
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
So not going with S4.1, eh? Right to S5? Okaaay....

It's interesting to "hear" the PR-spin on the "Tribble F2P Build".

A Call to Arms? Really? That's what you're going with?

Meh... I'm whelmed.

Edit: Oh, and First!
I suppose making it Season 5 instead of Season 4.1 is warranted given the amount of changes ahead. It's essentially a complete relaunch of the game. Definitely more than a mere "+0.1" change. I wouldn't get too hung up on the names or numbers.

That would of course also mean that everything beyond (fleet/social revamp, Fleet Starbases, etc) also get pushed back a Season NUMBER, but I'm pretty sure that's more of a cosmetic title change of the major patch updates than an indicator as to how many months things are away.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, interesting choice of Season name. nynix should be pleased, kudos to the guy. =) He's been sticking to this through thick and thin, glad he got a bit of indirect recognition.

This being said....

"Faster Levelling?" What happened to 'a day and a sixpack of Red Bull?' Some kind of mixed messages here. Wasn't one of the purposes of the Dilithium refining gate to compensate for overfast levelling? Can someone explain this, please?

Ugh. This is too much. I'm starting to feel rather like the Mad Hatter: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." Wibble!

Cryptic's new Perfect World overlords really cheesed me off, though. I'd been looking forward to Neverwinter Nights. =/ Now with this... I can't bring myself to trust that there won't be a metric isoton of paygates or chicanery or madness like this there!
Lt. Commander
# 5 A possible Season 6
11-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Season 6 could be:

- 800 day reward: all purple items of toons will be removed,
- 1000 day reward : you must pay double mothly payment or removing your account
- changing dilithium to nothing system
- But all Borg will wear finally hat
- etc.

Of course, all text above is only an imagination of my mind. No reality at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6 The Truth Behind Dilithium
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Dilithium adds value to players at all levels from the early game onward.
  • Dilithium - removes casual access to gear & ships, forcing you to play longer (or pay). Player Link.
  • Dilithium - added as a tax to crafting so subscribers and F2P'ers alike cannot obtain non-monetized gear. Dev Link.
  • Dilithium - poor currency conversion rates (With Diminishing Returns!) for subscribers. (Encourages C-Point Purchases & DL Trade). Player Link.
  • Dilithium - Should have been granted as 500 Day Vet Reward to replace Emblems but was not. Dev Link. Player Link.
  • Dilithium - Does NOT simplify large amounts of currencies as advertised. Many new currencies were added for F2P. Player Link.

• F2P - "subscribers should notice little to no change" (Statement from former Cryptic Exec Producer). Dev Link 1. Dev Link 2.

Some people are tired of hearing the complaints and negativity F2P has generated. To you guys, I say ignore it and move on. Cryptic seems to have ignored or dismissed many concerns during the conversion process so you might as well too. Support F2P with more of your time and more of your money if you think the game deserves it.

For everyone else who feels like F2P is not treating your subscription fairly I invite you to now Vote With Your Wallet:
  1. Cease all C-Store purchases if F2P goes live with your grievances.
  2. Do not participate in the Dilithium / C-Point Exchange unless it's with your free stipend.
  3. Do not let the Dilithium Economy make you play longer than you usually do (no grinding).
  4. Lastly, respectfully let Cryptic & Perfect World know why you choose to "Pay Less and Play Less" under their F2P business model.

Personally, I think STO is for the most part a fun game and I'm willing to overlook some (but not all) of what is being forced on subscribers. I had great optimism about STO in the past but the F2P business model has eliminated a lot of it. Unless I see the DL Conversion Formula improved and it's diminishing returns eliminated I will certainly be spending less time & money on STO because I feel short changed.

Good Luck, Cryptic. You might need it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-29-2011, 12:26 AM
the good news for me is that Lineage II has gone free2play as of 30th november, i'm currently patching the game ahead of its launch.

given the outright theft that cryptic is fraudulantly persuing against its players base in refusing to adequately compensate its existing player base with the dilithium conversion, really says enough about where this game is heading.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Honestly I can see why they'd decide to label a major transition like this as a full Season.

This doesn't bother me. That is, so long as Season 6 is the previously mentioned Fleet and PVP season.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
[list]
  1. Cease all C-Store purchases if F2P goes live with your grievances.
  2. Do not participate in the Dilithium / C-Point Exchange unless it's with your free stipend.
  3. Do not let the Dilithium Economy make you play longer than you usually do (no grinding).
  4. Lastly, respectfully let Cryptic & Perfect World know why you choose to "Pay Less and Play Less" under their F2P business model.
That's what I'll be doing and encourage others to do the same. If this is the only way to get Cryptic to listen and hurt them as much (actually more since it's real not virtual) then do it. Go silver and milk them dry because let's face it you don't have to buy "anything" off the c store and the only sticking issue with that is pvp but some of us don't bother with pvp and these items aren't "pay to win".

That talk about having a boycott....perhaps the community should act on that and do what we can to spread the word to f2pers too I'll be passing this on to my f2p friends. With any luck, Cryptic and PW may just realise the community is going to hit them hard back if they go ahead with this folly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi Cythie, meow!

Yeah, unfortunately ground skill revamp is not even on tribble yet, so we will just have the space skill revamps by the F2P push next week.

~ Meow