Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Faster leveling! Wait... what?
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
From "Path to F2P #24" http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2695

Quote:
Faster Leveling The leveling curve has been adjusted through the game, particularly at the earlier levels.
Really? Isn't that counter to what we were told not too long ago, which was that leveling was too fast according to D'Angelo? I'm doing a double take here guys.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Apparently they didn't have an issue with being able to hit cap in a day, just with the obtaining of gear.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Apparently they didn't have an issue with being able to hit cap in a day, just with the obtaining of gear.
You can hit the cap in a day and a pack of redbull with most games. Gear and shinies are what take weeks.

Still, I'd reiterate what I've said before about not tying rank to level because that only intensifies the perceptual problems with a rapid ascent from Ensign to Admiral.

Really, I'd prefer it if we spent the tutorial as Commander and the game was Captain 1-50, with Admiral pips and titles being an optional unlock at high levels. Or if they made Captain 1 - VA 1 into Captain 1-21 and just made the admiral titles and pips cosmetic unlocks you get at Captain 11, 16, and 21.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You can hit the cap in a day and a pack of redbull with most games. Gear and shinies are what take weeks.

Still, I'd reiterate what I've said before about not tying rank to level because that only intensifies the perceptual problems with a rapid ascent from Ensign to Admiral.

Really, I'd prefer it if we spent the tutorial as Commander and the game was Captain 1-50, with Admiral pips and titles being an optional unlock at high levels. Or if they made Captain 1 - VA 1 into Captain 1-21 and just made the admiral titles and pips cosmetic unlocks you get at Captain 11, 16, and 21.
I don't disagree. I posted in some thread (can't remember which) a rank scale that had captain at the upper bound. Given that ranks such as Lieutenant Junior Grade went ignored (honestly that has always bugged me) it is possible to do so while keeping the existing tier system intact. If I were to be stuck at any rank in the Trek universe I'd want it to be Captain.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Apparently they didn't have an issue with being able to hit cap in a day, just with the obtaining of gear.
Thats the message I'm seeing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Very few STO players run out of content. Most give up well before that.

I think the point is to speed UP leveling, particularly the low level kind, and make the slow part gearing up at the cap so they can concentrate most future development on endgame and also create and fill out other factions faster by making it so that fewer new missions are needed for new factions (and the KDF) to feel complete, while treating the surplus of Fed missions as filler and patrols, DSEs, and exploration as non-essential and unrelated to leveling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
It makes me wonder what type of genus's they have working on this game. A few examples are to a new player that may be nice being able to level faster, but on the hand of making money for a company like cryptic its going to ruin all efforts they made with this F2P crap. You may ask how do you reach this conclusion? Well its fairly simple although I do not know why people at Cryptic didn't forsee this but you have no end game so when people play thru enough characters they will simply just uninstall the client with F2P players seeing that the only things being added are cosmetic things to buy. So faster leveling = faster speed to end game = no end game = no customers...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
It makes me wonder what type of genus's they have working on this game. A few examples are to a new player that may be nice being able to level faster, but on the hand of making money for a company like cryptic its going to ruin all efforts they made with this F2P crap. You may ask how do you reach this conclusion? Well its fairly simple although I do not know why people at Cryptic didn't forsee this but you have no end game so when people play thru enough characters they will simply just uninstall the client with F2P players seeing that the only things being added are cosmetic things to buy. So faster leveling = faster speed to end game = no end game = no customers...
Oh, grinding for mk xii STF sets will keep you busy while they think of an answer to that. I am not anticipating a stellar answer to that issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
It makes me wonder what type of genus's they have working on this game. A few examples are to a new player that may be nice being able to level faster, but on the hand of making money for a company like cryptic its going to ruin all efforts they made with this F2P crap. You may ask how do you reach this conclusion? Well its fairly simple although I do not know why people at Cryptic didn't forsee this but you have no end game so when people play thru enough characters they will simply just uninstall the client with F2P players seeing that the only things being added are cosmetic things to buy. So faster leveling = faster speed to end game = no end game = no customers...
Actually, my math on both gold subs and C-store purchases shows that their income is going to be reliant on people having as many VA 1 alts as possible and our ability to really maximize the dilithium economy is also going to be reliant on having as many VA alts as possible.

In some ways, whereas this game has historically focused on a small number of alts, the new system really pushes everyone back into the City of Heroes playbook which says, roll as many alts as possible... with the added push to do dailies and dilithium conversion on each alt.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Actually, my math on both gold subs and C-store purchases shows that their income is going to be reliant on people having as many VA 1 alts as possible and our ability to really maximize the dilithium economy is also going to be reliant on having as many VA alts as possible.

In some ways, whereas this game has historically focused on a small number of alts, the new system really pushes everyone back into the City of Heroes playbook which says, roll as many alts as possible... with the added push to do dailies and dilithium conversion on each alt.
That makes sense; very few people are going to spend C-points they bought with real money (or that someone else bought with realy money) on something they're going to outlevel -- moreso if they're going to outlevel it faster. (Which makes the idea of at "+1" ship at any tier other than T5 even more hilarious.) The real money, as you say, is going to be on VA (and later FA) level gear and ships. Which.. makes sense. People are going to be spending most of their time at the VA+ levels, so might as well make sure there's stuff for them to buy at that level.

I disagree with the evaluation that this will encourage alts, however. Part of why CoH encourages alts is because of the sheer diversity of powersets and archetypes. Even when Cryptic handed it off to Paragon, there were two factions, five archetypes each faction, and each archtype had at least six primary powersets and at least six secondary powersets. Even with the fact that many of these poewrsets were duplicated between archetypes, that is an immense amount of customization and a large number of very different play styles (an ice tank will play differently than a regen tank or a stone tank.) STO... not so much. There's only three classes. If they really wanted to encourage an 'alts alts alts!' mentality, they'd have set up non-respec-able space skills (e.g. a Tactical officer serving aboard Science ships; an Engineering officer serving aboard Cruisers; etc.) That would encourage people to level up characters in different classes. But they didn't do that (thank the Great Bird.)

Then again, this might be to encourage people to purchase additional ships so they can try them out. =P
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM.