Lt. Commander
# 1 it amazes me
12-02-2011, 07:25 PM
That this is season 5 and there has been no new music added to the game, ive had to download trek themed music from the movies to listen to while playing and have them in a play list.

why can't you write original music with a star trek feel? Stop asking or requesting permission from authored content or jerry goldsmith or cbs... just do your own.

its a horrible ambience that crap music.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
You do not see the irony in telling them to write their own music while also telling them the original music they have in the game is "crap?"

The simple truth is artistic things, like music, are completely subjective. That's why one person listens to Motley Crue while another listens to Kanye West and someone else listens to Tim McGraw. There's absolutely no way to please everyone musically. No matter what music they create or license someone, many someones, in the game is going to think it's crap.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-02-2011, 07:45 PM
The shows and movies do have a pretty good selection of scores that I'd like to hear in game as opposed to piping them through iTunes. There is the in-game media player tool, but it seemed kinda clunky last I used it.

But more specifically, the moods I get from STO music don't match what's going in the specific scene, and are sometimes conflicting. There's a particular piece of non-combat ambient music that plays that makes me feel as if I'm in battle, but I'm just talking to an individual that's in need of a few water purifiers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
You do not see the irony in telling them to write their own music while also telling them the original music they have in the game is "crap?"

The simple truth is artistic things, like music, are completely subjective. That's why one person listens to Motley Crue while another listens to Kanye West and someone else listens to Tim McGraw. There's absolutely no way to please everyone musically. No matter what music they create or license someone, many someones, in the game is going to think it's crap.
That might be true. The music is in STO is not the best, and like I said doesn't seem to convey the same feeling that Trek music has.

I had a go at SWTOR over the weekend and the music, even though it was not directly like Star Wars music in general, still kept that "feel" of STar Wars music, with the occasional Star Wars cues thrown in here and there. Why can't something similar be done in STO?

Yes there is the main theme which starts off with the familiar Trek fanfare. But that's where the familiarity ends! Why can't other pieces of music in the game include little cues from other parts of the extensive Trek soundtracks? e.g. why isn't the Klingon style music used in combat? (like the one I linked above) It doesn't have to sound exactly like it, but it can at least sound similar (familiar).
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
That might be true. The music is in STO is not the best, and like I said doesn't seem to convey the same feeling that Trek music has.
It's not "the best" to you; thus subjective. The simple truth is that not all the music in the 726 episode of Trek was good either. Again, subjective. Even if they put in all the music you like it might be music I completely hate so you are happy and I am upset. There is no way to please everyone when deal with subjective concepts like art and music. People really need to understand that. "I hate X" does not mean "everyone hates X."
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-02-2011, 08:08 PM
One bit of music from TOS that would be nice to hear would be this for the Doomsday Device mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQ3m...eature=related

Starts at about 48 seconds
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-02-2011, 08:12 PM
it just needs more music. the one they have is crap because ive heard it over and over, so tired of it. its not crap because of the sound. its a rather good piece. its like saying the same word over and over again until it no longer sounds like a word, or listening to your favorite song 500 times in a day and then suddenly realizing youve ruined the magic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWorth
One bit of music from TOS that would be nice to hear would be this for the Doomsday Device mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQ3m...eature=related

Starts at about 48 seconds
That's another good example.

And again, it doesn't have to be the whole piece recreated in game. The composer could incorporate the "sound" or mood of that piece into the music.
That's what I'm really talking about here.

I understand what I might not like other dos, and vice versa, but really, do you believe the music is great in STO??
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I've commented about the music since beta. I have found it the most underwhelming music for an MMO (compared to other MMO music - look at most MMOs that have been released, almost always they include a Soundtrack CD because of their great music). I'm probably one of the few that likes game music and always keeps it on, but for STO, I either turn it down or start up winamp with my own list of tracks.

I find the music in the game doesn't have the cinematic or even emotive quality that a lot of Trek music conveys.
e.g. Why can't similar music to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0dGIWyXXT8 be playing while doing exploration?
Why can't similar music to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpfspdqGwEk be playing during combat? especially combat with Klingons?? Those bits of music are quite evocative. The combat music in STO is not.

The music reminds me of the music in Champions Online (where that type of music fits). There are only a few little cues here and there (like the main Trek theme) but otherwise the music does not sound anything like what Trek music would sound like.

I was hoping now that Cryptic has PW behind it, they would get a composer or 2 to make up some new music. A good composer should be able to recreate the "sound" and emotion of existing Trek music - so you don't really need to just "recreate" exact pieces from various shows/movies.

Anyways, I'm hoping Cryptic can do something about the music with PW's backing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm seriously laughing my ****ing *** off at this thread. If this is the most problematic of your concerns, get a new ****ing concern. Music? Are you ****ing serious? What about the other bugs that barely make the game playable?