Lt. Commander
# 1 A take on S5: Heretic style
12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Ok, so I was vehemently opposed to S5 and I completely viewed it as epic fail, but I warmed to a few things and decided I would take the good with the bad for now.

Let me roll through 'em:

Skill tree - I was honestly thinking it would blow, but the new skill tree at least allows freedom of using a few different weapon/energy combos and not feeling like you're taking an ungodly hit from speccing too thin. I like that, but there are a few completely idiotic skills to spec into, like batteries. C'mon, really? I use batteries like once in a blue moon. No reason I should have to waste SP's to make them better.

That being said, at least it is a little more versatile tree.

Signs/Lighting on faction HQ hubs - Sorry Cryptic, but ESD and Qo'Nos look like a steaming pile of monkeycrap. Stop catering to the these new F2P nubcakes and go back to something that doesn't burn our eye sockets out and looks like a day care.

New C-Store ships - Love my Sao Paulo, and the new Klink ships look awesome. Kudos on excellent ship models as always.

STF changes - Like the new gear and the changes, just not sure I enjoy having to run and run and run STF's over and over...lol.

DS9 changes - DS9 looks infinitely better, and thank you for making the wormhole look somewhat accurate.

Dilithium Economy and Dilithium Exchange - Sorry, but on this one I say the dilithium economy sucks and I always will. I know it's your source of revenue now, but it will be the one thing that kills your game, so enjoy making money off it while you can.

DOFF system - Outstanding, and a fun departure from the same old missions. Excellent work, Heretic and company!

Calling this thing "Season 5" - Really guys? Nothing episode wise, and a few new features doesn't constitute a season. If you would've just called it the F2P update, it would've been better instead of insulting the intelligence by saying it's a season.

That stuff being said, while you guys are it, keep fixing bugs and actually show the PvP crowd some love because they deserve it. Also, keep making an effort to get the KDF caught up.

Lastly, don't forget about your vets and lifers here, we're willing to meet you guys in the middle if you keep trying. If you focus on the incoming nubs and ignore us though, we'll leave you high and dry quicker than you can say "engage."

Just my 2 cents.

~ Supreme
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Lastly, don't forget about your vets and lifers here, we're willing to meet you guys in the middle if you keep trying. If you focus on the incoming nubs and ignore us though, we'll leave you high and dry quicker than you can say "engage."
Yep. 'cause when all's said and done, why would you stay somewhere that you're perpetually disprespected? I'm not that far from canning it all together myself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Agreed, Varlo...and for some strange reason man, I have always wanted to say to you that I don't quite know why, but you remind me of Methos from Highlander: The Series. That's not a bad thing, because the guy was awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Ah, I remember Methos! He was one of the four Horsemen, wasn't he? Wicked
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Where will we end up? Us disillusioned, betrayed and jilted Star Trekkers? Infinite Space has been canned for the forseeable future (thanks in no small part to this travesty).. I may just wait for Planetside 2 and get my jollies that way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Ah, I remember Methos! He was one of the four Horsemen, wasn't he? Wicked
Indeed, he was one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse...you remember the show well, my friend!

On another note, I wonder just how long it will take before the first "Defense Force" member pops in here saying I am a doom and gloomer...lol
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
STF changes - Like the new gear and the changes, just not sure I enjoy having to run and run and run STF's over and over...lol.

you only need to do it 120 times :O .... or 240 times if you want both ground sets.... or... maybe.. 480 times if you want 1 of every mk XI special.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Agree with the OP on some things but on others...

Quote:
I use batteries like once in a blue moon. No reason I should have to waste SP's to make them better.
Well, I use batteries quite often, and being in a position to invest points to make them better suits me. And you're right - there *IS* no reason you have to "waste" points. You can just chose not to.

Quote:
Signs/Lighting on faction HQ hubs - Sorry Cryptic, but ESD and Qo'Nos look like a steaming pile of monkeycrap. Stop catering to the these new F2P nubcakes and go back to something that doesn't burn our eye sockets out and looks like a day care.
I don't think it looks awful, but then I don't think it's much of an improvement.

Quote:
Dilithium Economy and Dilithium Exchange - Sorry, but on this one I say the dilithium economy sucks and I always will. I know it's your source of revenue now, but it will be the one thing that kills your game, so enjoy making money off it while you can.
I still don't really understand the complaints here; I'm much happier with Dilithium than I ever was with the hodge-podge mess of currencies we had before.

Quote:
Calling this thing "Season 5" - Really guys? Nothing episode wise, and a few new features doesn't constitute a season. If you would've just called it the F2P update, it would've been better instead of insulting the intelligence by saying it's a season.
Why is this even an issue? The Defera invasion, the DOFF system, a bunch of other significant improvements... this Season update has just as much - if not more - user-facing content as any other season.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Skill tree - I was honestly thinking it would blow, but the new skill tree at least allows freedom of using a few different weapon/energy combos and not feeling like you're taking an ungodly hit from speccing too thin. I like that, but there are a few completely idiotic skills to spec into, like batteries. C'mon, really? I use batteries like once in a blue moon. No reason I should have to waste SP's to make them better.
If you don't want to buff them then don't. If you put no points in there you get the basic 10 second duration but if you put points there you increase the duration of the power level increase. Personally I go through Aux batteries like a fat kid goes through chocolate so I love this particular skill.

Quote:
I actually really like the new signs on ESD. The lighting is a lot better looking as well IMO but I guess this kind of thing is relative.

Quote:
I kind of like the DIlithium economy. Just by playing the game you can easily pick up the Dilithium you need and although the 8k per day limit will limit the rate of acquisition of the high end gear I kind of like that too. But then I always thought it was far too easy to get what was supposed to be end game gear.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I still maintain that batteries shouldn't have to be a skill point investment. Consumables should maintain a flat bonus, not require us to spec into their usage to increase their effectiveness, especially when that skill could've been used to increase effectiveness of console bonuses or something instead.

It's like they said, "Hmmm, what can we put in this part of the tree? Couldn't think of anything, so let's just stick a batteries skill there."