Lt. Commander
Welcome to the 13th installment of Ask Cryptic, where we put the questions you ask to our development team. In this issue we discuss ground combat. Read more to learn about Star Trek Online!

Numerous: Can players beam anywhere on the planet, or only to specific places?

When you beam to a planet, you only beam to a specific location. This is to help retain the flow of our Episodes, which link missions between ground and space.

However, we’re looking into site-to-site transporter powers, which would allow you to “beam” across short distances for tactical purposes and allow you to get to places you couldn’t normally reach. But that’s still in the works.

Numerous: Will different places have different environmental conditions that some races are more capable of withstanding than others?

Currently, no, but that’s a great suggestion we’d like to look into. For instance, some cold environments where Andorians would get a bonus and other races would receive a penalty. We’re spending more time looking at racial bonuses right now, so it’s a good time for us to talk about it internally.

ExAstris: Will all ground missions be 5 individuals, or will some of the more epic things you encounter at "end game" require 10+ away team members?

The team size is always five. There are maps that require multiple teams to make your way through. Think of a front-line situation where numerous players bring down their away teams to work together with other players to fight against multiple teams of other players or NPCs. But your away team is always five members.

Shatterhand: Will these "kits" be supplied to your character automatically upon creation, or will there be a mission or procedure through which they'll be unlocked and ready for use/enhancement?

Kits are basically items that make special skills available, and you’ll be granted two Kits at character creation. So if you’re a Science officer, you’ll receive a Science Kit and a Medical Kit. If you’re an Engineer, you’ll receive a Shield Generator Kit and a Weapons Malfunction Kit. (The different Kits make different skills available, so you’ll be able to choose how you want to play your character from the very beginning.) We may increase the starting Kits to three, but it’s currently two. However, you’ll be able to acquire more Kits through missions and rewards.

Welsh_Knight: Will there be a disengage option? For example, if I'm in a fight I cannot win what are my options? Can I run away to a different part of the planet? Will whatever's trying to kill me persue me? Can I beam out? If I can beam out do I need to get clear of the combat before I can? Do we need to stand still to beam out? Can I call for beam out while shooting?

There’s no direct “I quit” button; that’s not fun, and it’s super lame for PvP. But there are ways to escape. On the ground, if you’re losing, you can run for cover around the corner, and your shields will replenish quickly. That will give you a breather before jumping back into the fray.

If you really want to get out of Dodge, you can run from your enemies. If you get out of combat long enough, you’ll have the option to beam back up to your ship and regroup there. But there’s no way to leave during combat.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
There are a few things that I think still need to be worked out, for instance “Can players beam anywhere on the planet, or only to specific places” When you beam to a planet, you only beam to a specific location. This is to help retain the flow of our Episodes, which link missions between ground and space. But I get that this will allow the flow for their episodes. Most of the stuff looks great so no complains here as long as its reall cool i will play and hope this game improves as it comes outs and ppl play it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
some good info there. I am definately interested in the multiple away team system that will be there. I find that reallllllly cool.

Wonder if we can get a group of 10 people and split into two groups of 5 :O DO WANT!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
This post is mostly anger directed at yet another Q & A with mediocre questions and simplistic answers.

I'm kind of surprised, and disappointed that the environmental effects of different planets are only just now being looked into. Seems like that would have been an initial problem to solve when dealing in planet creation and individual interaction.

I think I need to stop reading these posts because honestly the more I read the more it appears that the original idea is going down the toilet. I know we all want this out quick but I don't want just another MMO with Star Trek pasted on it. Forgive my skeptisism. I remember a time when the idea of beaming or taking a shuttlecraft anywhere on the planet was a possibility.

Some things just cant be done, some things can't be done right, and I'm getting the feeling that STO is going to fall into that category.

P.S. There are many times in the ST Universe when everyone but a red shirts behind was saved by beaming out of a firefight. It might not seem "Klingon Honorable" to cut and run but thats a tough decision left up to a Captain or Away Team commander......it's not an "I quit" button........it's called go back and get more phasers!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
P.S. There are many times in the ST Universe when everyone but a red shirts behind was saved by beaming out of a firefight. It might not seem "Klingon Honorable" to cut and run but thats a tough decision left up to a Captain or Away Team commander......it's not an "I quit" button........it's called go back and get more phasers!
With this I agree. I remember a few times during different episodes...

I guess the hard core PvP guys would throw an absolute fit about it though, I mean...god forbid if their "win" complex isn't satisfied.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey, one of my questions!

Nice to hear a tad about ground combat. I like the focused format also, helps center questions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post

I guess the hard core PvP guys would throw an absolute fit about it though, I mean...god forbid if their "win" complex isn't satisfied.
To hell with PVP, thats traditional MMO PVP, this is Startrek, and they have theyre own brand of PVP, which includes emergency beam outs.

There should be such a thing as mid planet side skirmish beam outs, if they want to fight, then they can just give chase on theyre own starship.

In fact, beam out, and do a orbital phase torpedo blast on those *******s!

That's Star Trek.

In fact there a ton of cases where a ton of varied races uses beaming technology to that advantage.

If the shields are up of course they can't beam out, but they find a way to disable it either through technological capacity or jerry rigging something to disable shields temporarily enough to beam in and out.

tons of times where in mid fight a crew member got beamed out of trouble like that.

That Jack emmert said in the Las Vegas Interview that this wouldnt be PVP based, it looks like that you're prioritzing the PVP crowd more than staying true to the Canon of StarTrek Battle strategies.

Lame, i think this game is going to tarnish the star trek IP if this PVP favoritism keeps up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post

Exactly, i think there is a core reason for a huge conflict here. First of all, the Federation is all about diplomacy, they brake out the guns only for defence. So PvP, why ? Maybe on holodeck, but mostly, it would be "would you like to talk about it" things.

Also the beam out/in and emergency beam out/in is essential to the whole series. And to the PvP and PvE, it would add several layers to the gameplay. Like if your ship in orbit is being attacked, you would have hard time beaming out, or maybe the enemy is jamming your signal and your engineers need to set up a patern enhancer or smth. But ok, i realize more layers would make the game "too difficult" and would scare away the more superficial players.

Ohh and think of a ground PvP where you order a Photon to be dropped on the enemy position...owned
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
I think I need to stop reading these posts because honestly the more I read the more it appears that the original idea is going down the toilet. I know we all want this out quick but I don't want just another MMO with Star Trek pasted on it. Forgive my skeptisism. I remember a time when the idea of beaming or taking a shuttlecraft anywhere on the planet was a possibility.
I agree in general, although I think this particular Q&A had some good info in it. But right now this game isn't seeming very much like Star Trek.

Right now, I'm seeing gameplay as "pick a ship and a crew loadout, go out and take some missions, blow stuff up real good, and then come back to base." Yawn.

Where's the exploration? Do we really only have one beam-down point even when we're not on a mission? Where's the crew interaction? The episodes and movies are all about crew members working together to solve a problem. Here it's just you and your pets, unless you team up with some other captains for combat. Where are the non-violent solutions to problems?

You can't even explore your own dang ship, for heaven's sake. There's no after-hours raktajino in Ten-Forward, no classical music recitals, no gazing out the window in the conference lounge, no fencing in the gymnasium, no pets waiting for you in your quarters. (But hey, at least you can put racing stripes on your ship, right?)

Powers &8^]
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2009, 09:38 PM
There were plenty of questions about weapons and the like, I would have rather seen those questions answered.