Lt. Commander
# 1 Lifetime Sale
12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey all...just a quick question

Is it worth buying the Lifetime with this sale on even though the game is going F2P? I'm in the UK and it looks like it will only cost 130. I'm tempted as Season 5 has made me fall in love with the game again and looking forward to the next featured series when it comes. What you guys think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
If you have the money available right now, go for it. Personally, I'd wait a few months to see if they keep up the pace of Featured Episode development. If they go on another long drought like they did in 2010 there's no way it would be worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2011, 01:14 PM
If I had a spare 130 lying around I'd buy another life sub, for sure. It's a bargain at that price.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Keep in mind that the game is going F2P in January. Instead of the cost to play the game, your lifetime subscription go to pay for a stipend of C-Points.

(The following figures are in USD, so please keep that in mind. I don't know the numbers for GBP, or I would run that math for you instead.)
  • C-Points are worth $0.0125 each ($6.25 / 500)
  • One month's allotment (400 points) is worth $5
  • The lifetime subscription is on sale for $200 right now
  • At 400 points per month, you will have to wait for 40 months (3 years, 4 months) ($200 / 5) before you receive your money's worth in C-Points.

With F2P not gating any content, and P2P not providing any REAL incentives, the only thing you're buying is C-Points. If you plan to play every month for the next 3 years, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
There are other benefits to having a Lifetime account - you still get free ship tokens as you rank up. Gold members get a reduced rate in the dilithium cost of a new ship, and silvers have to pay the full whack in 'lith. I noticed this when I started a new toon this week. Admiral Quinn spells it out in big orange letters before he sends you to the shipyard for the first time. So long term, you're not only getting the stipend, you're also getting a free ship every time you rank up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Keep in mind that the game is going F2P in January. Instead of the cost to play the game, your lifetime subscription go to pay for a stipend of C-Points.

(The following figures are in USD, so please keep that in mind. I don't know the numbers for GBP, or I would run that math for you instead.)
  • At 400 points per month, you will have to wait for 40 months (3 years, 4 months) ($200 / 5) before you receive your money's worth in C-Points.

With F2P not gating any content, and P2P not providing any REAL incentives, the only thing you're buying is C-Points. If you plan to play every month for the next 3 years, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
Plus the cost of extra char slots, extra bank slots, extra inventory slots, the extra ship slots, the unique playable species, the ability to refine dilithium without having to actually be logged on...

There is a pretty good thread somewhere in here about the total benefits of a LTS. At the current price, I think it is a good deal.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Plus the cost of extra char slots, extra bank slots, extra inventory slots, the extra ship slots, the unique playable species, the ability to refine dilithium without having to actually be logged on...

There is a pretty good thread somewhere in here about the total benefits of a LTS. At the current price, I think it is a good deal.
Since you can grind dilithium ingame and DIRECTLY trade it for C-Points, the "cost" of everything you mentioned above is worthless. This really is a case of TIME = MONEY, and in this case, money is losing. Badly.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis

The game went 2 years being so so. But now that FTP is going to show up I'm sure it will last for another 3+ years. By that time you would have made your money back. I think its worth it at this price. If it was the regular price I would have said really think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
In a passing moment of completely suppressed logic, spurred by the illogical Lifetime Subscription Sale (and due in no small part to some personal windfall profitz:p), I just bought a Blue Forum Name.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
*raises hand*

Yeeeeah, with the Aussie Dollar buying above parity, and the likelyhood of me playing for the next 10 months to pay it off anyway, I bit the bullet.

I fully expect to regret the decision in March when they inevitably delay the Featured Series again.