I just wanted to give some feedback on the holiday gift bags from the event. This isnít a thread about the JH drop rate, so if you have issues with that please post in one of the threads dedicated to that Ďissueí
What I wanted to bring attention to, and make suggestions on, are a few issues I had with way the presents were implemented. It could have been a fun event, but I found myself frustrated just opening a small stack of presents. With a few small changes I think the next event could be improved immensely.
1) Donít make 3 different delivery items. They were redundant, and when most people only receive blue and green presents from the event it upsets a lot of players. With a single present type at least all players would have had a chance of the better rewards without paying for them.
2) For the common presents donít "rewardĒ players with vendor trash. I opened up my boxes on a VA and found it extremely annoying how fast my inventory filled up with completely useless items. 90% of those, werenít even worth throwing on the AH. I honestly would have been LESS annoyed if the boxes only had holiday reward items in them.
3) Make what comes out of the boxes stack. Again, this goes back to the previous point, it fills up the inventory way to quickly and usually with items we donít want. If they stacked at least most players could open more than 2 or 3 before having to stop and clear out their inventory.
4) Give us a way to get rid of some of the rewards. The pets have absolutely no value in game, and thereís only so many you can give away. The holiday token recycling was a start, but we honestly should have a choice to recycle rewards or just decline them for a small EC/GPL stipend instead.
5) Finally, and this is one of my biggest issues with the system, donít recycle rare rewards from other systems that are still active. I got a buddy of mine to subscribe a few months back and received the Holographic Boff and tribble, and I was a little insulted when I received the Boff drop but couldnít claim it. The Rare drops should have only be either created FOR grab-bag events, or no longer available from other means. Giving out the rewards from another system really de-valuates both. I doubt it would have taken much time to create a new Boff/Tribble, heck you could have even used the veteran. But in the future, please donít make the rare rewards something which is still achievable.
What I would suggest for future events, instead of putting rewards in the bags make different tiered vouchers (Common to Very Rare, like loot). These vouchers would stack, and could then be turned into a special event vendor for different rewards. The rewards really don't have to change, but the players options is always appreciated. What I would like to see would be:
Common: Random Item box, Winter Survival Kit (Small amount of Hypos/Regenerators), Vehicle Winterizing Kit (Small amount of batteries/Components), Credit (EC/GPL)
Uncommon: Random Pet, Any lower level reward
Rare: Boff, Tribble, any lower level reward
Hopefully you find this helpful, Iíll try to add and refine it later.
Different number of vouchers for each item. Let's say 100 for the ship.
They want to keep the ship limited, so it would have to be a steep price. But I've dumped about $100 trying to get that ship and I learned my lesson. As long as rewards are odds-based, I'm just going to ignore the rewards from now on. If I could spend $100 and know for certain I'll get the ship... Then I'll consider it.
Sorry to hijack your threat with a rant, anyway...
I like your idea of vouchers, but instead of chance determining which quality voucher you get, just make each item cost a certain number of universal vouchers. That way if you really want a certain item and you're willing to pay for it, the element of random chance is gone.
Roughly half of my red boxes from the c-store are blue boxes, which kind of sucks. Also the race rarely gives me blue and usually sticks with green. The trade in console was a great touch but latinum is currently worthless to me so it defeats the purpose....
After spending about $100 this month, roughly $75 of that going into red boxes, I've given up. Either there will be a ship under my tree from Santa Kirk or Cryptic has seen the last of my money. I can understand keeping the ship "ultra rare", but they can do that by making it very expensive. I'm just not willing to gamble another hundred in hopes of getting one.
Especially if it's only unlocked once and for one character on my account.