Lt. Commander
# 1 The Skill Tree Forced Split!
12-20-2011, 03:58 AM
I understand the need to make us spec into ground, for balancing new ground content.

But please, just keep the skill point cap as it for space, so we dont lose our effectiveness, give us extra skill points for ground.

Some people like me only play this game for space PvP (Yes I know that's very few of us these days, due to no PvP additions for 2 years, but that's a different thread).

Its already hard enough to effectively spec for PvP, unless you spam 6 into everything. Please consider. giving us extra points for ground. You will have the balance you want, and wont penalise players that only enjoy space.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Your Post to Stephen D'Angelo's eyes........
(are we sure he doesn't own the Harborside Health Center in Oakland?)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterpiseZ
I understand the need to make us spec into ground, for balancing new ground content.

But please, just keep the skill point cap as it for space, so we dont lose our effectiveness, give us extra skill points for ground.

Some people like me only play this game for space PvP (Yes I know that's very few of us these days, due to no PvP additions for 2 years, but that's a different thread).

Its already hard enough to effectively spec for PvP, unless you spam 6 into everything. Please consider. giving us extra points for ground. You will have the balance you want, and wont penalise players that only enjoy space.
I bolded the interesting parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
Here is a look at the upcoming Ground Skill Changes. As you can see, it follows a similar scheme to the Space Skill changes. This is an early iteration, and subject to change. This may make it out to Tribble next week (no promises), and are hoping to move it to F2P. Here are some highlights:
  1. There is a set of ground common skills, and 5 career (class) specific skills.
  2. Ground Common skills are mostly new. They are similar to some of the new space skills in that they just add a bonus, like bonus Shields, or improve armor. There was no reduction in base Shields, armor, HP, whatever. These skills just add to the old values.
  3. For each Rank (Lt, Com, etc), there are now a total of 9 skills to choose from (adding space and ground)
  4. Every ground ability remains modifiable by a skill.
  5. All training nodes were retained. All career specific ground skills unlock a BOff training node at both Rank 3 and 6!
  6. This new Skill Update will come with a mandatory respecÖ like we did when we introduced the Space Skill changes.
  7. We will be changing the cost of skills at each rank. We are still working this out, but Tier 1 will increase, but tiers 5 and maybe 4 and 3 will decrease. This change will likely come with a compete re-tooling of the numbers. No players will lose any skill points, but you will not have the same as before. For instance, if you had the max, you will be converted to the new max. Itís a complete 1:1 conversion.
  8. We are looking at changing the scale of Skill Points and Skill Point costs. So instead of a skill costing 200, it may now display as 1000. This is just a display change to make the numbers look nice and rounded. No skill points will be removed or added. We donít know what this scale change will be, but it will be larger than it is now.
  9. The requirement for Vice Admiral may go up a tiny bit to make the numbers all nice and rounded (maybe around 500). Any player at the max will be automatically bumped to this new max and retain their Vice Admiral Rank.
  10. Before season 5, there were 86 skills. Now there are 55.
  11. Before season 5, the cost to buy every skill at max rank would be 235800. The total estimated cost now may be about 162000 - an approx 31% cost reduction.
  12. We are looking at splitting Ground and Space skill points - around a 75:25 ratio between Ground and Space. This is being tried for several reasons - the main reason is to help prevent players from putting all their points into space, and then not being effective on the ground. It also helps make PvP more accessible to casual players by leveling the skill point playing field (players who split their skills because they play ground and space could not compete with a player who put all their points into space or ground alone). While this will reduce how many points you can put in space, there is a significant reduction in the amount of skills needed to purchase. This is further aided by the upcoming reduction in the cost of higher tier skills.
  13. All of the above is subject to change at any time.
  14. The update will come with a new enhanced skill tree UI.
So basically: Overall you can, with the same amount of skill points basically, buy a larger portion of skills than before. (Particularly Tier 5 skills).

This should alleviate the issue of losing skill points from space to ground.

I am optimistic the change will overall be good. (Though I see Foxrock's issue that even with the new skill tree, Science Captains have to invest more skill points than any other class.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
So basically: Overall you can, with the same amount of skill points basically, buy a larger portion of skills than before. (Particularly Tier 5 skills).

This should alleviate the issue of losing skill points from space to ground.

I am optimistic the change will overall be good. (Though I see Foxrock's issue that even with the new skill tree, Science Captains have to invest more skill points than any other class.)
Arhh thank you, so its not as bad as I feared.

They should have done all the changes at the same time. Just fells like a massive waste of time and money trying to learn the current one, for what? all of a month.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 04:39 AM
Quote:

Yes, yes, yes, and did mention... yes?

Thats EXACTLY what was needet since day 1 of that game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Arhh thank you, so its not as bad as I feared.

They should have done all the changes at the same time. Just fells like a massive waste of time and money trying to learn the current one, for what? all of a month.
I agree. Spending money on respecs right now is wasting money. But there will be an inevitable flood of respecs after the skill change is finalized, and most of us will have already used all free tokens for it. And the price of the respecs was just raised.

Better get it right the first time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I wonder if we'll soon see a c-store item for 25% space XP
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Do you think that by, in effect, forcing us to take skill points from space and apply them to ground, they could be preparing for Tier 6 ships and Level 61? (starts rumor)
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:

I am really glad that you brought this up. I know I was thinking of it. Everyone I like to play with is all specked for space and I like ground-play better (I may be the only one lol) but it made me sad to spec all of my skills in space. It would be nice if they gave some flexibility like a build for space and then a build for ground or even 4 build slots where you could be specked for a couple of different ships and ground and then chose the one just like you are changing your uniform.

Thank you for clarifying this MustrumRidcully! I always trust you to have information at your fingertips
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
It needs to be tested out so I hope Cryptic will at the very least grant us unlimited respec tokens on Redshirt/Tribble to fully get a grasp on it.