Lt. Commander
# 1 The Skill Tree Forced Split!
12-20-2011, 04:11 AM
I understand the need to make us spec into ground, for balancing new ground content.

But please, just keep the skill point cap as it for space, so we dont lose our effectiveness, give us extra skill points for ground.

Some people like me only play this game for space PvP (Yes I know that's very few of us these days, due to no PvP additions for 2 years, but that's a different thread).

Its already hard enough to effectively spec for PvP, unless you spam 6 into everything. Please consider. giving us extra points for ground. You will have the balance you want, and wont penalise players that only enjoy space.

(Also posted in the main forums, a Dev might look at it then)
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=245444

(Also see this thread, which I didn't see lol)
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...08#post3915108
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2011, 05:12 AM
I totally agree with Bieber... Two separate skill trees one for ground and one for space, get on it Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2011, 05:20 AM
yeah .. i really wanna keep my current spec in space, although it would be nice to get some extra points for ground only. just make two seperate point pools.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Why not have *two* separate skill pools that advance separately?

Space skills, that are improved with points earned from space actions, and ground skills, that are improved with points earned from ground actions. Same level cap for each, but your rank is determined by the higher of the two pools. If you want to do nothing but space, put all your points in space skills and level up that way. If you want to do ground PvP, put some time and effort into ground actions and build that pool up, too.

This would give players some control over how they wanted to advance and what they want to do in the game. Plus, it would give all us level-cap monsters something else to do after hitting VA -- go grind points on the other side.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 05:48 AM
I'll just repost my post to the same thread in the Online Discussion Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterpiseZ
I understand the need to make us spec into ground, for balancing new ground content.

But please, just keep the skill point cap as it for space, so we dont lose our effectiveness, give us extra skill points for ground.

Some people like me only play this game for space PvP (Yes I know that's very few of us these days, due to no PvP additions for 2 years, but that's a different thread).

Its already hard enough to effectively spec for PvP, unless you spam 6 into everything. Please consider. giving us extra points for ground. You will have the balance you want, and wont penalise players that only enjoy space.
I bolded the interesting parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
Here is a look at the upcoming Ground Skill Changes. As you can see, it follows a similar scheme to the Space Skill changes. This is an early iteration, and subject to change. This may make it out to Tribble next week (no promises), and are hoping to move it to F2P. Here are some highlights:
  1. There is a set of ground common skills, and 5 career (class) specific skills.
  2. Ground Common skills are mostly new. They are similar to some of the new space skills in that they just add a bonus, like bonus Shields, or improve armor. There was no reduction in base Shields, armor, HP, whatever. These skills just add to the old values.
  3. For each Rank (Lt, Com, etc), there are now a total of 9 skills to choose from (adding space and ground)
  4. Every ground ability remains modifiable by a skill.
  5. All training nodes were retained. All career specific ground skills unlock a BOff training node at both Rank 3 and 6!
  6. This new Skill Update will come with a mandatory respecÖ like we did when we introduced the Space Skill changes.
  7. We will be changing the cost of skills at each rank. We are still working this out, but Tier 1 will increase, but tiers 5 and maybe 4 and 3 will decrease. This change will likely come with a compete re-tooling of the numbers. No players will lose any skill points, but you will not have the same as before. For instance, if you had the max, you will be converted to the new max. Itís a complete 1:1 conversion.
  8. We are looking at changing the scale of Skill Points and Skill Point costs. So instead of a skill costing 200, it may now display as 1000. This is just a display change to make the numbers look nice and rounded. No skill points will be removed or added. We donít know what this scale change will be, but it will be larger than it is now.
  9. The requirement for Vice Admiral may go up a tiny bit to make the numbers all nice and rounded (maybe around 500). Any player at the max will be automatically bumped to this new max and retain their Vice Admiral Rank.
  10. Before season 5, there were 86 skills. Now there are 55.
  11. Before season 5, the cost to buy every skill at max rank would be 235800. The total estimated cost now may be about 162000 - an approx 31% cost reduction.
  12. We are looking at splitting Ground and Space skill points - around a 75:25 ratio between Ground and Space. This is being tried for several reasons - the main reason is to help prevent players from putting all their points into space, and then not being effective on the ground. It also helps make PvP more accessible to casual players by leveling the skill point playing field (players who split their skills because they play ground and space could not compete with a player who put all their points into space or ground alone). While this will reduce how many points you can put in space, there is a significant reduction in the amount of skills needed to purchase. This is further aided by the upcoming reduction in the cost of higher tier skills.
  13. All of the above is subject to change at any time.
  14. The update will come with a new enhanced skill tree UI.
So basically: Overall you can, with the same amount of skill points basically, buy a larger portion of skills than before. (Particularly Tier 5 skills).

This should alleviate the issue of losing skill points from space to ground.

I am optimistic the change will overall be good. (Though I see Foxrock's issue that even with the new skill tree, Science Captains have to invest more skill points than any other class.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
I agree with Beiber leave the current system alone. Interesting, so again Sci gets shafted in the skill points shuffle, why am I not surprised.