Lt. Commander
# 1 Hacked? Help?
12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Howdy all,
I have been playing since beta ( LTS ) and have seen people come and go. I've played most of the game of the solo and haven't joined or been active in more than two fleets. I've never bought energy credits online or any other inane nonsense like that.
I last logged in to check out the new duty officer system when it went live and then logged back out. I log in today and it looks like all my ships are stripped out, my characters and B.O.s are empty of gear and my bank accounts are cleared.
I figure I've been hacked.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I think I hastily filled out a crap GM request, but if some forum lurker ( or mod! ) can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
Almost two years of stuff over almost a dozen characters is gone
Thanks.
-B
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
You need to contact support.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Step 1 Run anti virus for virus,mal-ware & key-loggers.
Step 2 Change your password using a strong password. min 8 characters using upper and lowers case a swell as numbers. example 19AirForce72. write it down!
Step 3. Contact Support. be specific including the approx time period you believe the intrusion happened.

-Never give your username or password to anybody. it should be different than your display name on the forums or your @name. If it isn't contact support and get it changed.

-Never click on links from sources you are unsure of. If you can't help it at least hover first and ensure the displayed URL at the bottom of your browser shows you are going to go where you want to be going.

-Never click on links in emails. STO emails with STO links? Come to the site and navigate from the official site. Official emails are easy enough to spoof in order to grab your user name and password. (yes this happened to me and god knows how many more in WoW)

-Never use 3rd party add on software or patches with STO (or any other MMO).

Sorry it happened to you, I hope some of what I said here helps you not only in the future but maybe helps shed some light on how you may have been compromised.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I guess my main concern is which area of support to I ask for help? I've opened a GM ticket, but I'm not sure if that's going to get me started on the right path or not.
I will post the outcome(s) here in this thread for the education of the player base.
To be clear, I have never clicked on anything "spammy" to my knowledge, and I am ( was ) the only person with access to use my account. No friends or family. Just me. So, this makes me think some malware might be in my system. Again, if I ever determine anything, I will post it back here.
I finally had some time to play over the winter break and everything is gone. Really disheartening. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Thanks, and if you have more suggestions, please keep them coming.
-B
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-21-2011, 07:25 PM
do what capulet further up advised

http://support.crypticstudios.com/startrekonline#help
there (if they are open you can contact live support if not a ticket)
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2011, 03:25 AM
so strange, the same thing just happened to me. I'll be opening a ticket to see what can be done about it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2011, 05:43 AM
I use keepass encrypted data base of your passwords and a password gen, so you can make super long passwords, been using it 2 years now , free and easy to use

http://keepass.info/
Lt. Commander
# 8 Update
12-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I followed the link above and talked with live support. They a) advised me to change the password and e-mail associated with the account, b) told me they know of no way to 'restore' a previous game-state but that I should c) open a ticket with account and billing, although I've already opened a GM ticket ( which remains there without a response ).
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
i wonder how someone would strip your items since pretty much everything binds on eqiup
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canders
i wonder how someone would strip your items since pretty much everything binds on eqiup
I would assume to sell for EC, which is pretty much standard practice for goldfarmers.