Lt. Commander
# 1 Captain's Log Returns
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Massively's Star Trek Online column resumes course as Columnist Terilynn Shull takes the helm with her first entry of the Captain's Log.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Congratulations to Terry. It couldn't have gone to any better person.

I look forward to reading more :-D
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Good article. Very informative and minimal bias.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Good article. Very informative and minimal bias.
Agreed, I found it to be quite good for those reasons.

My only concern, and I am leaving them here rather than Massively due to registration, is referring to the DOff system as a Card Game. I think that the DOff system mechanically shares very little with any card game (and I play/test many games). In spirit, the DOffs themselves can be viewed as "cards". Unfortunately calling them a Card Game really distracts from the style of game play and can be a turn off to people, like me, who do not care for card games.

It was a great article and I appreciated the balance. I will be looking forward to the next one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang

My only concern, and I am leaving them here rather than Massively due to registration, is referring to the DOff system as a Card Game. I think that the DOff system mechanically shares very little with any card game (and I play/test many games). In spirit, the DOffs themselves can be viewed as "cards". Unfortunately calling them a Card Game really distracts from the style of game play and can be a turn off to people, like me, who do not care for card games.

It was a great article and I appreciated the balance. I will be looking forward to the next one.
Completely agree with this and what others so far have said.

Additionally ... A note in relation to the article's mention of the lightsaber lirpas and bat'leths. ... I like them.

For me, it does nod the head at SW:TOR's release while also saying ... "Congrats! ... You've launched ... Good for you! ... We aren't scared ONE bit!"

Qa'pla!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Again, (To all those die hard Star Wars hater) the Millenium Falcon fought the Borg cube at the battle of Sector 001 (or whatever people call first contacts battle.) Lucas Arts (who animated the sceen) has admitted to this easter egg.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...alcon-STFC.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Excellent, will give it a read now.

It does seem slightly Inception-y having Brandon posting about a new Captain's log... hehe
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
Completely agree with this and what others so far have said.

Additionally ... A note in relation to the article's mention of the lightsaber lirpas and bat'leths. ... I like them.

For me, it does nod the head at SW:TOR's release while also saying ... "Congrats! ... You've launched ... Good for you! ... We aren't scared ONE bit!"

Qa'pla!
just a shame some of the more hardcore saw the homage as a slam
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang

Did you ever play Star Trek: TCG by Decipher?

Because the DOff system is basically a single player version of that. Which is like Starship Creator: Mark II, minus the ships but with more scenarios.

Add DOff PvP and the ability to create DOff assignments for enemies and you've basically resurrected Decipher's game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Did you ever play Star Trek: TCG by Decipher?

Because the DOff system is basically a single player version of that. Which is like Starship Creator: Mark II, minus the ships but with more scenarios.

Add DOff PvP and the ability to create DOff assignments for enemies and you've basically resurrected Decipher's game.
I still play STTCCG, and I agree that there are a fair amount of similarities.