Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP - Ideas to Add Substance
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Stephen D’Angelo, from here.

Quote:
We’re already at work on the design of Season 6, which is being targeted for a June release. So what’s on the short list of features being worked on? We’re looking at doing some major upgrades on some key parts of the game. Foundry, PvP, and crafting are scheduled to get significant improvements, and there should also be some new features such as a fleet advancement system. We’ll share more details later as Season 6 comes into better focus.
I've been around awhile, and last time PvP was getting content attention in a Season patch the result was the loss of the mine space map and the addition of the town ground PvP map.

Even the PvP community in STO knows that PvP gameplay in STO leaves a lot to be desired. More than anything else, what PvP lacks in Season 5 is exactly what it has lacked since Season 2 - a purpose. Ironically, in Season 1 PvP had a purpose - it was the fastest way to level and earn the top gear in the game. I know, that was as much about the lack of content everywhere else than PvP, but it was at least something that gave PvP in STO a reason for participation. Today, no such reason exists, and as such PvP has not evolved in STO at all.

So my question is - what would make you or your fleet more interested in PvP? I think everyone knows that successful PvP in MMORPGs must include some tangible purpose or reward, and I think everyone would agree that doesn't exist in STO. So my question to the community is, what tangible purpose or reward would encourage you to PvP?

For example - it has been rumored that the upcoming PvP changes will include open PvP zones like Ker'rat. OK, if we assume that, what should be the rewards?

Would a unique set found only in PvP zones encourage participation? What if the only item found in the PvP zone was unique blueprints for unique items? If EDC or Borg Salvage could be obtained in PvP zones, would you do that instead of STF? Are there other rewards that would make PvP more compelling?

Finally, I for one would really like to see PvP incorporated into the Foundry. If scenarios could be designed to compete multiple players against each other - well, in many ways the Foundry could be the mechanism by which PvP could include among other things - SPORTS - in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
What would make PvP more interesting? I'd start with fixing the bugs and addressing balance issues. After that a new mission goal (or 2 or 3) to add to Arena and C&H.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Well, for what it's worth here's my idea for an expanded Galaxy Map which includes a 3-way PvP territory control section in the upper right section:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8...amegalaxym.png

Rewards?
What comes to my mind right now would be special vendors in conquered territories or additional daily missions you could complete.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Environments with more natural hazards and terrain.

Like, I would like to see a Briar Patch PvP zone. Explosive Metreon gas pockets, plenty of big asteroids to doge behind, gas pockets that mimic the Theta radion (shield and crew killer), 'Mutara nebula' pockets that shut down shields and penalize accuracy, asteroid clusters/nebula that have an AOE Mask Energy Signature, Ion clouds that do slight damage (5/sec) to hull but keep you from High Impulse.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I am going to move this to the PvP forum because we have some devs who will be working on the PvP updates watching it. Keep the ideas coming!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
How about adding to fluff (or even not-fluff) special effects to some of those ground maps like explosions, mortar fire and smoke that effects the NPCs that may be in said enviroment to give a better sense of immersion?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Open PvP Sector/Exploration Space. Easy player entry, but series of grinding missions including PvP to leave unless character has been active for 1/2 hour in Open PvP Space for a total 14 different days.

PvP Player owned stations. Resources for station upkeep only available in the Open PvP Sector/Exlporation Space. Ship injuries. Boff injuries. Only Fleets of 50 active members or more may build a station, or alliance of 5 Fleets of 10 active members. The fleets members set own policy of who they allow in their base and when and for what cost w/the exception of PvP raids from other players.

Ship critical and major injuries in Open PvP Sector/Exploration Space which can only be fixed at a PvP Player owned station at a time and resource cost. Some missions can be used to reduce time and an increase in resource cost and player missions/tasks. Ship minor injuries have timer which can be sped up w/onboard Doff/player missions in Engineering.

Boff sickbay for major/minor crew injuries. Use player ship sickbay to treat Boffs to speed recovery time. Critical Boff injuries need to go to Player owned station w/medical facilaties.

Multiple zones of Open PvP/Exploration Space w/tech resource driving max amount of player owned stations/zone.

Doffs could acquire small amounts of resources for ship needs, but for the amount needed Stations would require player station resouce raids or fighting it out in resource locations. Scanning/Recon type efforts required to find these locations. Diplomacy/Maurading could be used to to acquire resources from alien NPCs, but would require PvPvE interaction on a regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I would like a new lag free UI so when I activate powers, they you know activate. Nothing like hitting HYT and press fire and only one torp comes out and you see your HYT still available.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
I am going to move this to the PvP forum because we have some devs who will be working on the PvP updates watching it. Keep the ideas coming!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Well that would certainly mark a change in procedure.
Lt. Commander
# 10 my view on pvp
01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
sorry in advance for my bad english

when I read that post for the first time I laughed because of promises made by the devs and never kept before the game came out, then I got the urge to write how pvp could be improved without changing drastically its structure.
i play STO from open beta, but last year my playing time was reduced greatly, and I can say with certainty that i still play because I did the lifetime from the release date and because it is Star Trek!

I'd like to see the implementation of fleet bases, possibly customizable, that have an active role in the life of the guild and make the users feels like a member of that fleet unlike it is now. (Need fleet points)
this base of the fleet should be so fortified that no one would dream of attacking making it a safe place for members.

mechanics of pvp
the background of star trek, as we all know, is very huge, and for example the feature of the neutral zone here in STO could be the core of pvp establishing battles to conquer the territory between factions and between fleets.
devs should add new sectors to this, the battles between factions could be on the scale of 20vs20 30vs30 50vs50 depending on the number of users available in which everyones faces in an open field for the conquest of entire sector of space, once a faction has established the supremacy of a given sector can extract dilithium ore from the mine within it, it need only a small amount of dilithium to promote this new concept of pvp.
once the factions would have faced thus establishing the distribution of the territories would start the fight fleet vs fleet of the same faction to ensure the dominance of resources. This battle between fleets could be made with 5vs5 meetings to ensure that even small fleets can participate.
After a fleet prevailed against another takes possession of an outpost and a dilithium mine and can begin to extract material until another fleet does not decide to try to conquer this outpost already occupied. Thus began a new kind of battle against the outpost.

in summary, there would be 3 new stadiums of conquest:

1- War between factions consisting of a large number of users on the same map that fight for a sector, this kind of war could be held once or twice for month to distribute the space among the factions.

2- Internal fight between fleets consisting in 5vs5 arenas such as existing. winner is awarded with a dilithium mine including a small outpost of defense.

3- Fight for the recapture of already assigned outpost consisting of a new type of battle: offensive team, with only ships against defense team made up of ships and defensive turrets from the outpost. if the offensive team win the first space step, the 2 teams could fight in a ground outpost map to determine who will be the owner.

instead of using the dilithium as a resource, could be inserted as a new resource, maybe trilithium, with which we could buy specific pvp gear

this structure is to exploit the completely instanced features of STO. devs should design new maps but I think the bottom is something feasible for the current devs, the big issue for them would be to be able to balance the factions skills and adjust broken skills instead of continue to put absurd console into the game ruining the gameplay...

cryptic + pwe make a lot of money with the space bug gambling and they will continue with the ftp, now they must and they can focus their attention to add more contents and give us a better game