Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Will we see a huge flood of new accounts, or just a few hundred jump on deck?

I know when DCUO went F2P, they had a huge jump in players, and the wait time to log in put people in line of 4000 at times. Will this happen in STO?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Will we see a huge flood of new accounts, or just a few hundred jump on deck?

I know when DCUO went F2P, they had a huge jump in players, and the wait time to log in put people in line of 4000 at times. Will this happen in STO?
they may have been so just when it went F2P is it still like that?...no are the server still as full as when it went F2P or they now like they where before hand?.....yes

will this happen to sto?....yes
will it stay like this for sto?.....no
game go F2P for a reason
this game has been selling for 10$ for a reson
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Well it's far better than the 1st week of F2P on DCUO, that 4000 count to get in was nuts. I just hope we don't see that same type of que line to log into STO the day it's fully F2P, I know a few Trek fans that told me, they wouldn't play until it was free, now that it's going that way. My friends are getting ready to rock, and their friends and so on and so on. lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
The one thing when things go to F2P, is to expect the unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Well it's far better than the 1st week of F2P on DCUO, that 4000 count to get in was nuts. I just hope we don't see that same type of que line to log into STO the day it's fully F2P, I know a few Trek fans that told me, they wouldn't play until it was free, now that it's going that way. My friends are lgetting reasy to rock, and their friends and so on and so on. lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Most games after going f2p see a drastic increase in numbers. I can list several mmos who did this recently and became much more popular and successful. Also, people who have criticized those games, have started to like them more.
Will this happen with STO? Yes it will.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
Most games after going f2p see a drastic increase in numbers. I can list several mmos who did this recently and became much more popular and successful. Also, people who have criticized those games, have started to like them more.
Will this happen with STO? Yes it will.
This^^
When Age of Conan went F2P, Funcom one month later had reported to the media that 300,000 new accounts were created since.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
One smart thing they did was to open up the ftp gates for prior subscribers early. Let them get in, check things out, and decide if they want to continue before the ftpers with no prior experience get into things.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Sweet F/A that's how many.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2012, 04:07 AM
I think like most games that are either F2P or are going to become F2P, there will be the initial surge and for STO it will be very big.

It's free, it's a good IP, so it's going to be worth many peoples time to download and check it out.

That said, a lot of these new people will either have played and left already or know about STO's history which is negative to say the least. Even Cryptics name is said with derision and scorn when talked about in many forums. Great on character choices, poor on design and content. This will have an effect on people playing and staying.

Many will join and many will leave simply because it's free, however the mindset for F2P is that you don't feel the need to play a game as it's not costing you anything which means you tend to leave and play other things unless the game has plenty to do and is fun. Subs games subconciously make you play because you need to feel like your getting your monies worth (hence why so many lifers still hang around STO). Okay I am generalising, but I am sure some of you understand the point I am trying to make.

The final overiding factor isn't about the new accounts or how many stay, it's about what people spend. They could have a million new accounts made and 100s of 1000s of people playing, but if no one is buying anything, then the game will fail.

This is my worry that with lack of content and what we have being repetative, the only thing really going for STO is for those people that like the RP aspect.

I think this game will stay on life support indefinately.

Still, it's free and I ain't gonna $itch too much about the game anymore.

I will play and have fun for the limited fun factor the game offers, but I will never spend a penny and from the sounds of things, many others won't too...

Just my 5 pence worth.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Its salvation lies in the Foundry
Yes, foundry missions. But foundry itself is inaccessible for silvers and judging from the desription in faq on the website is still on tribble - so it will stay this way.

I have few years of experience in creating missions for Rebel Squadrons (X-Wing and TIE-Fighter games) and wanted to check STO foundry and ... nope, thank you very much,m this feature is not working either.

If foundry is STO salvation, then STO is already dead. Because there is no foundry.