Lt. Commander
# 1 Skins for VA Rank Ships
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Been asking for this for a long time. I know the conventional argument against is that the PvP crowd will be at a disadvantage due to not instantly not knowing what to expect from their opponent. However, there is ample canon evidence to support my request. Throughout the TOS and TOS movies Scotty has tinkered with the Enterprise enough that it performs far differently than other ships of the same class, and even ships more advanced. In TNG we see Geordie do the same, and in each series, the chief engineer is always working on making his ship perform better and in ways that make other ships of the same class often seem less powerful.

So on to my proposal.

With VA rank ships, I would like to see any skin available for ALMOST any ship even if it's a C-Store purchase of a couple hundred CP. Some restrictions of course.

* Skin restricted to the same class of ship - cruisers can only use cruiser skins.
* Skins for C-Store ships: You must have purchased that ship already (see the Rhode Island or Venture) at the full price to get the special console, or pay a small CP fee just for the skin.
* Ships they have already will not be made into endgame versions should be excluded - no TOS Connie or NX-01 skins available.
* Willing to exclude the Tier 1 ships (Lt CDR ranks ships) though I really like the Exeter and Rhode Island skins.

Several skins are already available, but for specific ship types (assault cruiser, star cruiser, etc., ) so the ingame precedent is already in place as well. Simply remove the specific restriction and make the star cruiser skin available to any cruiser, or recon science skin to any science ship.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm all for letting people play in whatever ship they want. The more options the better! The PvP argument doesn't really hold water, since they should be able to just disable stuff for PvP. It could be said that you can already play any ship at VA, if you want to... but I suppose that the lower tier ships aren't really "competitive" or whatever. Anyways, I don't have any issues with this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I'd love this. I've actually held off on ships I know I'd enjoy because I hate how they look.. like any of the refits. Plus a lot of those awesome new visuals they just made for Commander through Captain level ships will be going to waste. I also really love some of the original max level ship skins.

Actually this issue is probably most noticeable on the KDF side. All those beautiful new Gorn and Orion vessels are low level, and the old icky looking ones are high level.