Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Tachyon Drones TOO Strong?
01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure you guys think but I think the Tachyon Drones seem way too strong. Even with maximum resists to draining shields, most shields are gone in 10 seconds and ships stay unshielded permanent basis. The launch rates also seems way too fast. I don't mind the ability just needs to be toned down a bit. That's all pretty much.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I disagree. what you will find is that person doing this to you is also using other shield or power draining abilities.

The spawn rate and the power drain of the probes are actually slight for their fragile state. I tested them on my klink and found vs FAW or AOE effect and Mines, the probes are very fragile and die quickly.

They do a good amount of drainage over time if ignored, but I sneak in Shield drain beams to that wreak havoc on my opponets shields. Add to that some sci powers to drain shields and yeah I can keep your shields down, IF you dont mind what you are doing.

In PVE I find them effective, but in PVP against opponets who are paying attention, one good EWP or FAW, nah not good at all.

Testing techniques vs a player tanking cruiser with proper Shield buffing and resistance skills, I dont really have too much luck, as they are able to snap their shields back quickly and one good AOE or FAW and poof, the drones disappear.

For pets the drones are a touch fragile, but I can see this considering what they are designed to do. So its a trade off. I can understand that, but to say they are overpowered? Where is your proof? Lets present that with some facts and figures, then we can discuss it.

Otherwise its conjecture.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-13-2012, 06:37 AM
I dont PvP but on PvE in STFs I do not find them over powered at all. There are only 2 of them and the tact cubes just sit there like they aren't doing a darn thing. Before I hit General though and I had 4 drones in PvE they were awe inspiring I could almost launch them and be equiped with Torp only lol especially on normal diff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Most likely the individual is highly specced into being a Drain boat and has maxed his build to this potential.
Not to say that the ability may need looking at, just not a nerfing as Cryptic is prone to do when fixing things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Most likely the individual is highly specced into being a Drain boat and has maxed his build to this potential.
Not to say that the ability may need looking at, just not a nerfing as Cryptic is prone to do when fixing things.
Agreed,

Ive used the Tachyon Drones a few times and was not overly impressed by them.

I suppose if I was trying to do more shield cracking with my VoQuv and had speced into draining, Id be getting much better results with them.

IMO with would take a highly dedicated draining build to get the most out of the Tachyon Drones; however, if youre going to specialize in draining than Id suggest going with Syphon Pod instead.

In short I do not find the Tachyon Drones overpowered at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
Agreed,


I felt the same way about the Plasmodic leech, aceton assimilator and Vent Theta Radiation when I first tested them on Tribble. I even got the chance, way back, to use both against Crimsona in the Tribble Ker'rat zone.
I was not specced to be a drain boat (DPS boat) and found them lackluster (at that time) and He found them to be an annoyance and not much more.
Being specced to specialize in the use of new consoles or certain combo's seems to have an exponentail effect of outcome.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,364
# 7
02-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Agreed,

Ive used the Tachyon Drones a few times and was not overly impressed by them.

I suppose if I was trying to do more shield cracking with my VoQuv and had speced into draining, Id be getting much better results with them.

IMO with would take a highly dedicated draining build to get the most out of the Tachyon Drones; however, if youre going to specialize in draining than Id suggest going with Syphon Pod instead.

In short I do not find the Tachyon Drones overpowered at all.
This guy seemed pretty cool, I wonder what happened to him
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RontheDude View Post
I dont PvP but on PvE in STFs I do not find them over powered at all. There are only 2 of them and the tact cubes just sit there like they aren't doing a darn thing. Before I hit General though and I had 4 drones in PvE they were awe inspiring I could almost launch them and be equiped with Torp only lol especially on normal diff.
I tried them during the F2P test and while the shield drain worked really they also pullled aggro all the time and got destroyed really fast. Maybe they changed something since or it was only a problem at captain level.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Too strong imo.

The drain rate is nearly 400-500/sec PER drone. I don't care what the tooltip says, something's buggy with em, since they drain my 12k shields in 7-10 seconds, no buffs or others attacking. Their range is 10km, and they have 12k+ per each on hull. The only blessing is they don't have shields. Seems to vary on who specs well for them. I'm not comfortable with multiple drones having a fully buffed Tachyon Beam 3. I'm not sure you can even buff TB3 to those heights

Any countermeasures must have them in close, with EWP, or alone, with FAW. Both situations are highly unlikely. A cannon spread could wipe em out, if positioning was correct. But they've still drained the target ships shields.

If the drain is bugged, then a fix would probably bring them in line. Otherwise, the range, hull HP, and respawn time needs to be adjusted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otheym81 View Post
Too strong imo.

The drain rate is nearly 400-500/sec PER drone. I don't care what the tooltip says, something's buggy with em, since they drain my 12k shields in 7-10 seconds, no buffs or others attacking. Their range is 10km, and they have 12k+ per each on hull. The only blessing is they don't have shields. Seems to vary on who specs well for them. I'm not comfortable with multiple drones having a fully buffed Tachyon Beam 3. I'm not sure you can even buff TB3 to those heights

Any countermeasures must have them in close, with EWP, or alone, with FAW. Both situations are highly unlikely. A cannon spread could wipe em out, if positioning was correct. But they've still drained the target ships shields.

If the drain is bugged, then a fix would probably bring them in line. Otherwise, the range, hull HP, and respawn time needs to be adjusted.
You do know that a cannon spread or fire at will beam volley will wipe them out pretty much instantly, right? Proper ship builds in PvP, that's what the point is. When I'm on my Feddy for PvP I keep an eye on the drones, if I see em I zap em. Never gotten me down they did, never.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM.