Lt. Commander
# 1 Wth!?
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Elite infected has gotten alot more harder since the update. It was even harder before the season 5 patch..

I'm using a MACO gun XI and im only able to shoot at 17dps on elite drones and the normal ones. Seriously lol, i might as well shoot at the wall with my painball gun:p
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2012, 01:03 PM
You are remodulating, aren't you? Otherwise the STFs seem normal to me, both Normal and Elite so I'm not sure how you're dealing so little damage.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2012, 01:26 PM
when i fire one shot on my maco gun, i am having to remodulate all the time lol. So i do more modulating than fighting the borg
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I think it's because the borg adapt per bolt, and not per shot. Since the Maco rifle fires 3 bolts per shot, each shot counts as 3 hits. As compared to say a sniper rifle which only shoots one bolt per shot, thus it will not adapt as quickly.

I also notice some strange behavior regarding adaptation, however. I am a Sci and use the "physicist" kit a lot for AOE damage. I notice though that if I cast the AOE spells on the borg, eventually they just adapt to my fire without me even having to shoot. At first I thought it was that they adapted to the fire damage from the spell, but I swear also my weapons (MACO Mk XI and AP shotgun mk XI) don't do any damage either. Also I have seen it happen where I remod, and the first shot out of my gun is already adapted, even though I just remodded. It always happens like this when they are on fire.

Can someone explain how borg adaptation works with respect to spell-based damage?
Lt. Commander
this is only how i figure the things goin on .... its possible that im wrong

for weapons, borg adapt by wepon type, if 2 memebers have the same flavor wepon (ie ap, plasma,phaser etc) they both add to the hit count. Each dmg somoene deals from one type adds to the count for borg to assimilate. I also noticed that if I hit multiple borg in a single shot that it was counted as the number of borg that i hit wih the attack. For example a stacked up group of borg got hit with the secondary fire of the blast rifle (shotgun), it happened to me that they adapted afte only 1 shot.

Other thing i noticed that if 2 of the team members have the same weapon flavor, they adapt much faster from this you can have the issue when half the team has the maco rifle.

about the sci skills like thermal vent and radiation (old names I know dont remember the new ones) they do dot dmg to multiple targets, each hit of 1 or more dmg is counted toward adapting.

dunno if it helps, I think this is how the mechanics work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtnick View Post

for weapons, borg adapt by wepon type, if 2 memebers have the same flavor wepon (ie ap, plasma,phaser etc) they both add to the hit count. Each dmg somoene deals from one type adds to the count for borg to assimilate. I also noticed that if I hit multiple borg in a single shot that it was counted as the number of borg that i hit wih the attack. For example a stacked up group of borg got hit with the secondary fire of the blast rifle (shotgun), it happened to me that they adapted afte only 1 shot.

Other thing i noticed that if 2 of the team members have the same weapon flavor, they adapt much faster from this you can have the issue when half the team has the maco rifle.

about the sci skills like thermal vent and radiation (old names I know dont remember the new ones) they do dot dmg to multiple targets, each hit of 1 or more dmg is counted toward adapting.

I would like to see some proof of this. I have run infected loads of times with a full MACO team using MACO phaser rifles and have not noticed that if one player fires his weapon to the point of adaptation and then I fire at the same target it is already adapted, this is not happening to my team. What I think is more likely is that the player has two weapons of the same energy type so when he switches it has already been adapted to. Now this is correct because a frequency remodulation is a global process, in that it remodulates all your weapons to the same random frequency, however if the energy types are different then the Borg may know the frequency but not the energy type and frequency together, meaning they have to adapt again.

If Borg are adapting to the same energy type between players then this is impossible going by cannon. Each time a player remodulates it scrambles the frequency of that energy discharge to a random setting. There are literally millions of frequencies that could be chosen by random and for two players to actually have remodulated to the same setting is about as likely as winning a jem'Hadar ship from the winter event. So if this is indeed what is happening, which I have personally not witnessed, then Cryptic need to address it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtnick
No that's not how it works. They adapt to energy type of each player.

If one player has 2 phasers. Shoot phaser 1, they adapt. They also adapted to Phaser 2.
If two players both have phasers. Player 1 shoots phaser, they adapt. Player 2 can continue shooting.
If a player has 1 phaser and 1 disruptor. Shoot Phaser, they adapt. Change to Disruptor and keep firing.
When they adapt remodulate fixes both weapon types.

Problem with the MACO rifle is that it's primary fires a 3-burst attack. If you fire the primary 2 times and the secondary once, they have already adapted.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtnick View Post

I think you may be right about the Borg adapting to the weapon energy type.

I use an Mk XII [Borg] Plasma Minigun and a few days ago while running a ground STF I had a team member start telling me to stop using my Weapon because the Borg were adapting to us too quickly.

This player kept going on and on about how if anyone on the team kept using a minigun or rapid fire weapon that theyíd leave the team.

My response to their threat was to not let my foot catch them in the backside on the way out of the mission but it seemed that they too were using a Plasma type weapon.

There does seem to be something strange going on with the Borg adaption.

Iíve cleared my adaption and fired a standard 3 burst shot at a drone only to see the Borg adapt to me has soon has the 1st bolt struck them.

Iíve also had one instance where Iíve cleared my adaption and never fire off a shot and still had the adaptation icon appear on me again.

Iíve also had Borg adapt to me using melee attacks with my hand weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie25 View Post
when i fire one shot on my maco gun, i am having to remodulate all the time lol. So i do more modulating than fighting the borg
working as intended!, this is the reason I stopped STF's, I wanted to kill borg, not hit that stupid take me out of the fight for a few seconds at a time button along side the who has what weapon game. Got really annoying really fast.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Welcome to my living hell...