Lt. Commander
I just downloaded this game since it went F2P and the past day I've been trying to create a character but when I'm done and i hit ''play now'' it says "Character creation failed" and i have to start over, I've tried different races,default characters, and everything that came to mind, i can never create a character. anyone got a fix?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjcdenton
I just downloaded this game since it went F2P and the past day I've been trying to create a character but when I'm done and i hit ''play now'' it says "Character creation failed" and i have to start over, I've tried different races,default characters, and everything that came to mind, i can never create a character. anyone got a fix?
Sometimes this occurs if your connection is acting up because most of the creation stuff is done client-side and just sent to the server at the end, however if you've tried it several times and it's not working I'm disinclined to think that's the direct reason. It's possible you may not be fully patched and its failing the version test: this happened to me one time on Champions Online and had me perplexed until I restarted the client. Maybe try that, its the one suggestion I can think of myself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
If you're basically getting disconnected during the character creation process.. maybe it would help to just get through it as fast as possible.

Something you won't know.. but you will "rank up" as soon as you complete the tutorial, and when you rank up, all of your costuming and character crafting can be redone, without cost... because you'll get a free "re-do costume" tailor visit (ostensibly to change the rank pips on your uniform, but you can change your entire appearance within racial limits). I believe you can also edit your character bio at any time too.

So pick your race, your traits, and your gender, then skip through the character design windows, set a name, and then see if you can jump into the tutorial.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
A caveat: the free uniform change is for subscribers only I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitiVoltaire View Post
A caveat: the free uniform change is for subscribers only I believe.
Edit: I've just deleted my silver character and made a new one, and run her all the way through the tutorial (20 minutes, not bad). And you're right, at least for the Ensign -> Lieutenant rankup, silvers don't get a free "redo your uniform" visit to the tailor. Still no idea what happens at LtCmdr tho.

Still, it was worth a try to see if making a "quick test character" could solve the problem.

I don't THINK so... I did just run a silver account through the tutorial, and I recall being offered the free costume edit by Admiral Quinn. I don't see "Costume Change" listed on the F2P matrix, so I assume it's the same for both.

I could be wrong, of course (I've run through the tutorial 2-3 times in the last couple of days, and only once on the silver account).
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I don't THINK so... I did just run a silver account through the tutorial, and I recall being offered the free costume edit by Admiral Quinn. I don't see "Costume Change" listed on the F2P matrix, so I assume it's the same for both.

I could be wrong, of course (I've run through the tutorial 2-3 times in the last couple of days, and only once on the silver account).
I wouldn't be able to confirm either way since I have LTS, however there was a lot of zone chatter on ESD earlier about F2P players not getting free costume redos with their level progression. I had assumed it was just another feature limited by F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitiVoltaire View Post
Sometimes this occurs if your connection is acting up because most of the creation stuff is done client-side and just sent to the server at the end, however if you've tried it several times and it's not working I'm disinclined to think that's the direct reason. It's possible you may not be fully patched and its failing the version test: this happened to me one time on Champions Online and had me perplexed until I restarted the client. Maybe try that, its the one suggestion I can think of myself.
Ya i tried the ''create fast character'' method still no luck, but i''ll try reinstalling the game see if that works.

Edit- I tried it still same thing, i also used my friends computer, who is playing the game and works fine for him, i tried creating my toon on his computer and still the same thing??? i literally have no clue what to do,
One thing that i noticed is that I'm playing on a perfect world account and not a cryptic could that be the problem?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Doing a little googling, reading reports from other people who have had this error over the years... it seems you might possibly somehow have access to a uniform item, or race that you shouldn't have. So while the client is offering you the option to use these items in character creation, the server might be rejecting the character because of these extras.

I know it's particularly hard, but can you tell us what clothes, boots, combadge, etc you're trying to wear, and what race you're trying to use?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Okay my games i actually created a character, i believe it wasn't creating because i was trying to still choose specific names, i just decided to hit random on all three and it worked. anyways thanks for the help guys. at least i can still change my name and info in the game my friend showed me
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjcdenton
Okay my games i actually created a character, i believe it wasn't creating because i was trying to still choose specific names, i just decided to hit random on all three and it worked. anyways thanks for the help guys. at least i can still change my name and info in the game my friend showed me
What was the name you were trying to use? Maybe there was some forbidden character in there? (it wasn't by chance something along the lines of a Kirk, Picard, Riker, etc, was it?)