Lt. Commander
# 1 Sharing Toon Creations
01-19-2012, 09:10 PM
So is there a way for players to share the toon costumes they create, I think this would mostly count for the Alien species but getting replicas of characters like Picard or Janeway could be fun to, just to see how accurate people can get them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep! When in the character creator, hit SAVE then in C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots (win 7/vista) look for something such as Costume_Askray_Lashan_Headshotstyle_Default_01_379 431662.jpg That should be the stored data which you can obviously move to other people. (They just have to rename the Askray_Lashan part to handle_character).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Yep! When in the character creator, hit SAVE then in C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots (win 7/vista) look for something such as Costume_Askray_Lashan_Headshotstyle_Default_01_379 431662.jpg That should be the stored data which you can obviously move to other people. (They just have to rename the Askray_Lashan part to handle_character).
That would only give you the actual screenshot reference of the character - not their data parameters.

Short answer to the OP is yes: Use a common Bridge Officer!

For example, have the person who wants the costume give you a commissioned officer. Then you take that officer to the Tailor, change his appearance to the saved one in question, and then transfer the Bridge Officer back to the person who gave it to you.

Done.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
That would only give you the actual screenshot reference of the character - not their data parameters.

Short answer to the OP is yes: Use a common Bridge Officer!

For example, have the person who wants the costume give you a commissioned officer. Then you take that officer to the Tailor, change his appearance to the saved one in question, and then transfer the Bridge Officer back to the person who gave it to you.

Done.
No, you are both right, although your method only works for playable bridge officer species. It would not work for a liberated borg or a Benzite.

And recreating characters from the Star Trek IP is against the TOS, so if you were going to do some kind of exchange, you certainly do not want to do it on this forum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Interesting....thanks for these hints.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
No, you are both right, although your method only works for playable bridge officer species. It would not work for a liberated borg or a Benzite.

And recreating characters from the Star Trek IP is against the TOS, so if you were going to do some kind of exchange, you certainly do not want to do it on this forum.
I never aluded to copying real-world actors, (indeed, I avoid the 'distant relative of X' meme as a rule) but still... trading officers is a good way of covering *most* of the races. It works especially well for Aliens, which can be made to look like some of the less common races such as Benzites.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
I never aluded to copying real-world actors, (indeed, I avoid the 'distant relative of X' meme as a rule) but still... trading officers is a good way of covering *most* of the races. It works especially well for Aliens, which can be made to look like some of the less common races such as Benzites.
Yeah, that was in reference to the OP. I am sure a lot of people have made characters or bridge officers who happen to look a lot like a certain someone from a Star Trek show, maybe even have a similar name. I was just pointing out that the forums were not a good place to discuss such things though, due to it violating the TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2012, 04:24 AM
So will STO get shut down by SOPA if we have a picard or janeway toon ?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
So will STO get shut down by SOPA if we have a picard or janeway toon ?
The actors could sue, likeness rights.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2012, 07:43 AM
I doubt many, if any, of the actors would sue because a player made an ingame likeness of them. Trek has made them for lack of a better word, immortal. The only reason it's in the EULA/TOS is just in case. I made my KDF character to resemble Data somewhat. It's obviously not that close to looking like Brent Spiner, but close enough to suit my needs in the game.