Lt. Commander
# 1 Regarding Server Restarts
01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi Captains,

As most of you have noticed, we have been posting scheduled maintenance notices a little more frequently lately. While some of thse have included patches, a majority of them have been server restarts.

I wanted to take the time to reiterate a forum post that was made by Rehpic, Star Trek Online's Lead Programmer:
Quote:
It is the number one goal for the programming team right now to stop doing daily restarts. We have people working nights and weekends(myself included) until this gets fixed. It requires some restructuring of the code in our database that handles saving of character updates to disk, so needless to say we are being careful and testing thoroughly. We are pushing updates to Tribble once or twice a day and running artificial load tests internally.

I'm not going to make a promise for when exactly it will be, but I wanted to let you know that we are taking it seriously and are making good progress toward reducing the number of required restarts.
Again, we truly appreciate your patience and understanding -- the team is working extremely hard to resolve this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Branflakes
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I know at one point you implied there might be a possibility of using alternate times lots when the servers were under heavy maintenance so the same users weren't hit each day. Any further thoughts on that?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Go from a unix server to vista os.
Just install that baby right over it and that should resolve all your issues pretty quick.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you for keeping us updated BranFlakes!

I also appreciate that you alternate between 7:00 and 8:00 so that some of us are able to get our morning DOFF missions in a few mornings.

I personally donít mind if you alternate to another time zone if they are only a couple of hours downtime. I am sure others will complain but with plenty of warning (like you have been giving) we could always go and get some fresh air.

Hope you are able to stabilize it soon so that you are not forced to work overtime and extended hours.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Just install that baby right over it and that should resolve all your issues pretty quick.
This is funny.. I almost fell off my chair!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurga
This is funny.. I almost fell off my chair!
Me too, besides, everyone knows win me is the best evar!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Technically true...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
why would they could from a good os to a very bad os! there was agood reason why ms develope windows 7 so fast to replace vista
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
why would they could from a good os to a very bad os! there was agood reason why ms develope windows 7 so fast to replace vista
because
1) it would stop the need for daily restarts if the server doesn't boot up to begin with.
2) if the game wasn't built to run off of a vista server, daily restarts would be the least of their problems