Lt. Commander
So i just downloaded this game the otherr day and so far love it big Trek fan. So i get on today and the update runs ok and all the i login fine but when i get to the end of patching it says Error 36: file is locked and cant be opened for writing ive completely scrubbed the game and reinstalled it. I tried manually scaning the files for the setup and what not but it doesnt work. I really like this game and i dont have they time to sit on the phone at in the morning or the evening im usiually at school or with my kid. What should I do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker31123
So i just downloaded this game the otherr day and so far love it big Trek fan. So i get on today and the update runs ok and all the i login fine but when i get to the end of patching it says Error 36: file is locked and cant be opened for writing ive completely scrubbed the game and reinstalled it. I tried manually scaning the files for the setup and what not but it doesnt work. I really like this game and i dont have they time to sit on the phone at in the morning or the evening im usiually at school or with my kid. What should I do?
If you've got antivirus software running, that might be the culprit. Errors like this are usually conflicting software on your machine, or bad hardware, unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Possible work around
01-27-2012, 06:38 AM
I had this happen to me twice recently after 2 problem free years and no hardware or Anti-virus changes (AVG Free, Win XP SP3). I've gotten past this by re-installing the game. I don't delete the install files anymore so all it has to do is, install, patch and I'm back in business. Reading other posts, something in the latest patches occasionally causes the game to lock itself out of updating itself. There's been several, seemingly unrelated (to me) work-arounds found. I thought this was the most simple. Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 4 me too
01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
This has been happening to me recently as well i have been playing for 700 + days with the same virus protection norton 360. I found the only easy way around this issue is to launch STO as an administrator It seemed to correct this issue. Still very odd that it just started with this issue recently it only give me the error after patching it downloads everything then it wont let me launch the game because of the error.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Thanx
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Thax all for the advice i just reinstalled the game again and its up and running hope to hit Lt. Commander soon. Just tryting to figure out how the refining dilithium thing works now.