Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Weapon Scaling (size)
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I vaguely recall seeing a discussion on this topic a long while ago, but I have not heard about it since. I would like to request that the models for ground weapons scale to the users size.

For example:

I have a Gorn captain. My Gorn is rather large. When he equips a weapon it is ridiculously small and shrimpy, most of the time it is so small that it either sinks into his hands or one of his hands (in the case of 2 handed melee or energy weapons) does not even touch the model of the weapon.

For instance when I wield a batleth, my left hand does not even hold the weapon (although it looks like the hand is supposed to be holding something). When I use any type of pistol the weapon barely peeks out of my closed hands.

I say this now because I'd like my Gorn to be able to wield weapons that are sized appropriately to him. Especially the new Honor Guard Rifle, it'd look like a toothpick in my captains hands... D^:

If it is possible I say that the weapons should re-size to match the wielder. Smaller or larger (the same problem occurs with small characters).

Anyone else have this problem?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
very true ..though i have the reverse.. my 5 foot 2 female Tac toon looks like shes holding an m60 with all the rifles.

It should be based on a scale thats calculated by height and arm length.

I am no maths, coding wiz but its gotta be possible surely
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 05:33 PM
How they didn't think of this I'll never know.

I also have a rather large gorn captain. Using an antiproton pulsewave assault it looks like I'm holding a peashooter, and my fingers don't even fit around the weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
very true ..though i have the reverse.. my 5 foot 2 female Tac toon looks like shes holding an m60 with all the rifles.

It should be based on a scale thats calculated by height and arm length.

I am no maths, coding wiz but its gotta be possible surely
Possibly hand size as well... They give you the hand size slider and everything, so why not make it so those big alien hands can hold a weapon?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Donīt build these freakishly large creatures then or be prepared to have them run around with bathlets, swords or lirpas only.
STO uses the Champions Online engine I think. So these things are an inbuilt problem.

Also donīt expect it to be solved anytime soon, the smallish art department got bigger fish to fry.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Donīt build these freakishly large creatures then or be prepared to have them run around with bathlets, swords or lirpas only.
STO uses the Champions Online engine I think. So these things are an inbuilt problem.

Also donīt expect it to be solved anytime soon, the smallish art department got bigger fish to fry.
Yeah I know they most likely will never fix this issue, I just felt it needed saying. Also, even the ground weapons have problems in the large Gorn hands. My batleth is so small that only one hand actually holds the weapon when I run around. The other looks like it's holding something, but it's not...

I don't know about Lirpas, don't have any with my Gorn. I do know the swords look like toothpicks/daggers.

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Its not just freakishly large characters. I have several standard height characters (as determined by the presets in the creator) which look like they are holding a bazooka instead of what should be a standard Phaser Rifle. The handgrips are off, the whole weapon seems 20-30% too big.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:

I don't expect the problem to be solved any time soon; however it is not a valid excuse to tell all of the players not to make their characters large. Sure, you could get away with telling people who play humans that, but I play a Gorn. Gorn are really big. If it does not work well having the Gorn be big and wield weapons, don't allow the players to make large Gorn captains. The same can be said for small characters, if it does not work well with the game you make, why allow the players to be so small/large.

Also; I play champions, and I have never seen a problem with item scaling in their system. It's possible I've been ignorant of it, but as of yet it's all pretty kosher.

-Quiiliitiila

P.S.
Sorry for the late reply, I was helping a friend move. :^D
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
This is an awesome idea. All for weapons scaling to character size! Dunno if they have the technology for that though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:

Actually, weapons scale with hand size in Champions Online. If you have smaller hands your swords and hammers will be smaller. If you have giant hands you'll have giant weapons. I always found it strange they didn't scale here like they do there.

edit: in fact it's not just hand size Melee weapons also scale with hand length and arm bulk. Ranged weapons scale with hand size and length but not arm bulk.

Pics:

Melee:

Tiny
Not as Tiny
Big
OMG WORLD ENDER

Ranged:

Tiny
Not as Tiny
Biggest