Lt. Commander
# 1 People who hate "Enterprise"
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a serious question to people who consider themselves Star Trek fans and dislike (or even hate) Enterprise. Why? I find this baffling. I just completed my 5th time through the series in the past 2-3 years (I watch TV while I'm working) and I think it's a great series. A few of the characters are a little dry but nothing crazy. I would really like to know why some people don't find it entertaining of say it's "NOT Star Trek".
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I only really disliked a couple things about it:
  1. The first season when it was just called "Enterprise", only later being renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise". This is a great franchise and I hate to see a network censor a title because it's ashamed of its fanbase.
  2. I didn't like the long storyline going. I've always though of Trek as having independent episodes. Whenever they said "Last time on Enterprise..." it felt wrong.
  3. They stopped making the show right as it finally got back to the episodic nature that I missed! >_<
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
  1. The first season when it was just called "Enterprise", only later being renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise". This is a great franchise and I hate to see a network censor a title because it's ashamed of its fanbase.
  2. I didn't like the long storyline going. I've always though of Trek as having independent episodes. Whenever they said "Last time on Enterprise..." it felt wrong.
  3. They stopped making the show right as it finally got back to the episodic nature that I missed! >_<
Ah, see it's funny, although I absolutely love TNG, DS9 and VOY, I enjoyed the long story arcs (Season 3 Xindi arc was my fave) and felt that it was something missing from earlier series. TNG and DS9 I believe were made for first run syndication so it made sense for all the episodes to be watchable independent of each other.

I'm pretty bummed this only ran 4 seasons. Could have easily had another 3.

And why isn't it out on bluray yet?! lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Actually one of the reasons I liked Enterprise was because of your second reason to dislike it. I love continuity in TV shows. It makes it feel like one long movie instead of disjointed episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoremVox
Actually one of the reasons I liked Enterprise was because of your second reason to dislike it. I love continuity in TV shows. It makes it feel like one long movie instead of disjointed episodes.
I second that. The reason why Battlestar Galactica was so engaging was that each new episode is a continuation on the last. Watch it enough and you will get suspicious of the people around you
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Enterprise pooped on everything Star Trek from the get go.

A) Prequels - Really? Why must everything have a prequel and a crappy one at best.

B) Theme song was utter crap - different yes, but utter crap

C) Uninspiring Captain - Scott Bakula was a horrible choice for a Captain (I thought I was watching Quantum Leap over and over and over again)

D) TEMPORAL COLD WAR BS - WTF - I thought this was suppose to be the founding of the Federation, the encounters with the Klingons, Andorians, Tellarites, and most of all THE ROMULANS - so instead we get shallow story arcs regarding the races mentioned, while being smothered with Xindi crap or sulaban whatever you call them, blah

E) Very boring and stale writing - with more of the same

F) Characters were awful

G) Lore / Crap on everything Star Trek Lore - complicating it even more

H) The Extremely loooooong arcs ( though this may have worked for BSG - but remember we're talking about another animal - plus the Cylons was the main theme of BSG <--Which I love)

To be honest I hate Voyager just as much as I do Enterprise - so Enterprise is hated slightly more
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
I quite like enterprise so I don't hate it but I don't love it either. Its my least favourite trek I watch.

I guess a few reasons are;

The characters. I found them dull and uninteresting. Characters like Data, Picard, Sisko, O'brien, Garak, Quark, Paris, the Doctor were GOLD. Each one was fun to watch and had great personalities. I found the ones in enterprise to just be lacking. I'm not sure if its the writing, the actor or what but I did not really care that much about them. If I don't care about the main cast then its hard to enjoy the show.

Humour - There is a lack of good humour in Ent. The show did not feel as fun as other series. I don't just mean goofy comedy eps either. Every ep felt darker and more serious but that not really Trek. Despite the problems the other crews faced there was usually one good laugh out loud moment in each episode.

Set in the past - A minor quibble but I would have preferred one moving into the future. Again only a minor issue.

Temporal cold war - Now going to the point above, I loved the idea but the execution was sloppy. Berman and Braga admitted they had no idea where the story was going. they just made it up on the spot. The season 3 cliffhanger with the nazi aliens. they did not even have the second ep thought out. they just thought nazi aliens was cool and then went to lunch. Manny Cotto had to fix that mess. Personally i like sitting down and trying to work out where the story is going but after a while i realised that's impossible as they don't even know. crucial plot points become meaningless as they are only there for the one episode rather than some greater story.

Season 1. Largley forgettable in my opinion. Just not very interesting and thats about 25% of the show.

Getting cancelled. Somewhat of an after the fact thing here but how good would DS9 or TNG have been if they had no season 5, 6 or 7. Some of their best eps happen there and if ENT had continued to get better as it was doing then I think you could look back at the show with more love. It got cut down in its prime. I would have thought they would show Star Trek a little more respect than just cancel it after all those years.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Enterprise pooped on everything Star Trek from the get go.

A) Prequels - Really? Why must everything have a prequel and a crappy one at best.

B) Theme song was utter crap - different yes, but utter crap

C) Uninspiring Captain - Scott Bakula was a horrible choice for a Captain (I thought I was watching Quantum Leap over and over and over again)

D) TEMPORAL COLD WAR BS - WTF - I thought this was suppose to be the founding of the Federation, the encounters with the Klingons, Andorians, Tellarites, and most of all THE ROMULANS - so instead we get shallow story arcs regarding the races mentioned, while being smothered with Xindi crap or sulaban whatever you call them, blah

E) Very boring and stale writing - with more of the same

F) Characters were awful

G) Lore / Crap on everything Star Trek Lore - complicating it even more

H) The Extremely loooooong arcs ( though this may have worked for BSG - but remember we're talking about another animal - plus the Cylons was the main theme of BSG <--Which I love)

To be honest I hate Voyager just as much as I do Enterprise - so Enterprise is hated slightly more
A, B, C, D, E, F, and H are all subjective. As far as G goes, can you cite specific examples where Enterprise interferes with Star Trek lore? People commonly list 'continuity problems' as a reason for disliking ENT but then can't actually cite any, or very few. In fact, TOS (which is one of the most highly beloved series) was horrible about continuity. TNG had tons of continuity issues as well. I feel like ENT had the least amount of continuity issues of the 3 of those.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I find that different 'generations' of Trek are vastly dissimilar from each other. It's quite understandable that everyone has their own preferences on what is 'proper' Star Trek.

For me I try not to hate anything but try and see how times and people have changed over the years due to real world developments. Life is short enough that I shouldn't have to bother making protests over what goes into shows that I have absolutely no influence in.

Those who are financing and directing the films can more or less come up with whatever excuse to make whatever they wish to, to draw in maximum profit from existing and new Trek fans. Very Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 10 i like it
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
hey im not afarid to say i liked it..

the temp cold war was dragged out alot and did put me off for awhile

but i recently given all 4 season on dvd and am loving going back and watching it

season 4 was my fav.. the 2-3 epiosd earcs i really loved

overall Enterprise was good, but i will always call ds9 my home, except when im off on voyager

archer,trip and t'pol got most of the episodes, it would have been nice to see a few more focus on others

but Doc phlox is the man! also travis was way under utilized

also there was a distinct lack of red shirts.. i.e one episode wonder guys that get killed