Lt. Commander
This may be a stupid noob question, but I could not find the answer anywhere so here it goes:

I am new to the game and bought the TOS series pack. I got a TOS shuttle. I flew it once and it seems decently armed for a ship of this size and was kind of fun. I think it will be a hoot to play around with.

When I am in my main starship (TOS Constitution Class) there is an option to launch a shuttle. However, it says the shuttle is "unarmed" and disappears when battle starts. Obviously this is not the same shuttle I can pilot. So my question is...What is the purpose of launching a shuttle from your starship? It would not be any good in a battle. Is there something else it can do for me? Can it scan more stuff in the area when doing searches? Some other function?

What about the shuttle I CAN fly? Is there any real purpose for that in the game or is it just a fun toy?

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
The shuttle pet that you can launch is just that, a pet. It follows you around, looks pretty, and that's about it.

The shuttle you can pilot is for fun, but there is also one mission (The Vault) which requires you to use a shuttle for it. There are also plans for additional shuttle missions in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh! I did not know there were "pets" in the game.

Does that mean I can have a tribble follow me around too?

Thanks for the info!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
No tribbles aren't pets. Any pet you can have can be found in the c-store. Except the horta, which you can get from this mission Mine Enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
There are a number of cosmetic pets for both ground and space, but Tribbles aren't currently one of them. I don't think Tribbles have been seen to move fast enough to be made pets in that fashion.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Tribbles seem to move pretty fast when fired out of the Party Popper.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Launching a Shuttle from my starship actually saved my butt yesterday!

Funny story:

Got the Odyssey, but while I was moving my equipment from my old ship to my new one, the lag on Earth space dock was crazy. So I did the most reasonable thing, I beamed up and transwarped to K7.

One problem: I forgot to grab an impulse engine out of my bank before I beamed up.

So there I was, sitting JUST outside of transported range of K7 with no impulse engines. I was in trouble! I wasn't even in sector space so I couldn't hail the Azure II to get to my bank. It was bad.

Then I remembered that I had a working shuttlebay! Went to my ship interior and launched a shuttle! I used it to get to K7 and equip the Odyssey with my MACO impulse engine at the Dockmaster's area.

Just like in the show, when the ship gets stuck and transporters aren't an option, go for the shuttlebay! Love that shuttlebay!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Ah, awesome shuttle tale there!

For cooperative play sometimes I would get newer players to form teams, start the mission, and I would just tag along and show them the intricacies of STO's rather complex (at first) interface.

In future using a shuttle would be more appropriate for the 'instructor' role since I'm not there for combat purposes. And yes, Delta Flyer pew pew pew FTW!