Lt. Commander
# 1 Season 5 Dev Diary #17
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Stephen encourages players to "tip" Foundry authors in this entry of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
It's a good idea. However it will only work for the people at the top of the already 'flawed' rating system.

There are so many good missions and excellent authors that will never get even a whiff of dilithium because of this, which is a tragedy...

Please... please... come up with some way of making the system fairer in general. So many missions go unplayed whilst the 'top' missions receive all the attention.

p.s. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, they do, but so do the others
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I guess it is an ok feature for those that bother with the Foundry. As for me? I won't be using it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Why is the maximum tip 100DL? I tipped my buddy last night to try out the feature and that was the max I could tip. )=
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
Why is the maximum tip 100DL? I tipped my buddy last night to try out the feature and that was the max I could tip. )=
I would guess it has to do with controlling the flow of Refined Dilithium...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Have not and will not set foot in the Foundry.

I pay a subscription fee to play official storyline material, not fanfic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011

Not sure I understand this position. Do you think that by playing the Foundry it will somehow delay new official content, or something?

Yes, many missions are poor, but many are good, and some are amazing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Quote:

Not sure I understand this position. Do you think that by playing the Foundry it will somehow delay new official content, or something?

Yes, many missions are poor, but many are good, and some are amazing.
Hilariously, any sub money he pays or has paid has also, in some part, gone into Foundry development. In other words, it's a feature he and everyone who has ever given money to STO has paid for.

It's a logical stretch, yes, but when you think about it, by refusing to play Foundry missions, he is in effect refusing to make full use of the money he's spent.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:

I have not and will not watch anything on network television.

I pay a subscription fee to Comcast to watch cable television, not stuff I could get for free with an antenna.

I also agree with you about not playing foundry missions. The best way to tell whether or not someone is capable of designing a good mission with a compelling story is to see whether or not they are employed by Cryptic. I mean, some of these guys who create foundry missions might have PhD's in English Literature or Computer Science but clearly they just are not good enough to get a paycheck from Cryptic, so playing what they design is going to be a waste of time and money.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
some foundry mission are the best missions in the game. its always a players choice whether to use this feature or not, but you may be robbing yourself of a great experience.

and i say that as someone who was very weary of fan fic to begin with. ive seen some in the past and it was shocking. the foundry however boasts some wonderful stories.