Lt. Commander
# 1 Missing Ship Classes!
02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I noticed That there is No Constellation Class (Stargazer) or Ambassador Class (Enterprise-C) Starships! Why don`t They have these 2 Classes included in The Ship Category?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
The constellation class has been upgraded to the new Stargazer class. The Ambassador is on the list. They just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Ambassador class has been on "the list" for over a year now I think...but man, did that Odyssey spring to life fast...just took a while to make it in game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksol80 View Post
Ambassador class has been on "the list" for over a year now I think...but man, did that Odyssey spring to life fast...just took a while to make it in game.
As something they could tout as the biggest and baddest PWE was thinking of the C-Store sales, so it got priority. As a niche interest ship loved by a few, the Ambassador does not indicate C-Store sales nearly as much, and so it has been on the back-burner. Same goes for the Constellation, the Kumari, the New Orleans, the Soyuz, and the Niagara.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
As something they could tout as the biggest and baddest PWE was thinking of the C-Store sales, so it got priority. As a niche interest ship loved by a few, the Ambassador does not indicate C-Store sales nearly as much, and so it has been on the back-burner. Same goes for the Constellation, the Kumari, the New Orleans, the Soyuz, and the Niagara.
yeah sadly. But they all should be in there. As well as a hell of a lot more KDF ships. AKA Nausican. Orion, Gorn NPC ships.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Sometimes I think there might be some IP/timeline issues with CBS that's kept these ships out of the game. What I mean is, the majority of the fleet in this game consists of ships that you saw regularly saw in the TNG movies, DS9, and Voyager. If you remember the games Activision was putting out at the end of the 1990s, it's the same basic ship selection. We never really saw many Ambassadors after the middle of TNG, and even in the early episodes the Constellation class was considered a museum piece. It could very well be that CBS considers those ships (and possibly more obscure ones like the Niagara and Springfield) to be retired from active service and doesn't push for their inclusion in new products.

Mind you, I am just speculating out loud here. I mean STO does have the Cheyenne, after all. I suppose the real determining factors are some combination of IP-based (should we include this ship, or would it make more sense to imagine that Starfleet has a new design that does the same job in the 25th century?), artistic (is the basic design flexible enough to allow some variant classes for costume customization), and gameplay-based (could this ship, logically placed in a proper tier and specialization, do anything that couldn't be duplicated by existing ships?) I think this last issue may be the biggest stumbling block: in the end, a Constellation in STO would be a T2 sci ship at best (which they already have) and an Ambassador would be some sort of T3.5 cruiser, something that would require a bit more finangling that a regular ship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
yeah sadly. But they all should be in there. As well as a hell of a lot more KDF ships. AKA Nausican. Orion, Gorn NPC ships.
At one point the KDF was missing a LOT of ships in every tier. It took a while to get where it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksol80 View Post
well you have to remember that for the last year cryptic have been in a strangle hold under Atari who had basically put them in stasis so be thankful the game is still up. i am sure the ships will come but they are still recovering from having half there staff laid off.
so patients and i am sure all will come in time
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
That and the fact is that some classes do go out of date (Miranda and Excelsior excluded, of course).
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STF65
The constellation class has been upgraded to the new Stargazer class. The Ambassador is on the list. They just haven't gotten around to it yet.
The Ambassador class was upgraded to the Galaxy class.