Lt. Commander
The most basic function for BOFFs is to provide space and ground abilities. From this "BOFFs=gear" point of view, you really don't need that many to play the game effectively.

However, many of us play MMOs for more than just gear/stats requirements, and I think BOFFs are a great way to add a personal touch to one's crew that adds to the game's enjoyment immensely. I have 29 BOFFs - way more than technically needed - but I think it's fun to customize a crew with a diversity of races. I think it's great to have a different set of faces every time I beam down, and to see so many of them on my bridge. I even have them spread out from ensign to commander so I don't have two dozen commanders on my ship or away teams.

Who else takes BOFFs past the "gear" level and makes them part of your personal STO story?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Whilst I wouldn't say I've gone overboard, I do have twice the number needed - one half are only levelled for space, the other for ground. They also have different uniform sets; the space "crew" being rather more formally dressed (Duty dress, except for my First Officer. As I'm an Admiral, I decided that he should really be the captain of the ship, and as the captain of a flagship he should be in dress uniform), and the ground lot dressed more practically for ground combat. I've also done two up as crewman/enlisted (despite the rank that they actually have - they are both commanders technically speaking), whilst the other two are officers (one being a doctor).

This is absolutely pointless, but I enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Me too, I currently have 20 Boffs on my main and I'm planning more, eventually I'llhave at least one of every race available (though I'm waiting on career/gender choice for my Android).

I'm also really picky about their traits, I like to match them up (albeit loosely) to the personality of the Boff (purely for my own enjoyment really).

I do use a lot of them though, even if its a minute difference between the skills of each, I swap them around as needed or just on a whim.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh I totally did this. I really had nothing else to do at VA 50... :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
It's nice to know I'm not alone.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm glad other people play the MMO for reasons other than raw stats
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I spend more time customizing my boffs than fighting.

Well probably not really but it feels like it sometimes.

And it kills me that I can't adjust the shipboard costumes of the non-Boff crew.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I do this also. I got shipboard boffs, away team boffs, boffs who are my department heads and exec. I have some of them tied into my story line and some not. My away teams are not full of commanders but are staggered rank wise.

I also wished I could standardized my crew with my boffs
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM
As a listed licensed hoarder I'm headed there myself. I spend a lot of time fitting them with the right armour, skill sets, guns and customes that make them unique than I sometimes spend playing ground missions with them.
Furthermore, one must always make sure they're fully stocked with 20 shields, 20 hypos, 20 weapon and the latest gene spliced tribble!
I take good care to take care of my crew's needs and that they healthy.

And then, of course, there are the ships...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Can't say I'm going overboard, but I did start matching my BOFF's uniforms to my own, and I gave them a few tribbles to play with.