Lt. Commander
# 1 is there a site out there
02-08-2012, 06:07 AM
That debunks the dross spouted on stardestroyer.net? Something I can just link to instead of having to manually call BS on everything? It'd be nice, I'm finding myself in the midst of that battle again.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Don't know.
What dross?
Did you remind them Star Destroyer shoot turbo lasers and lasers bounce off Federation shield?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2012, 07:03 AM
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/
The sheer amount of intellectual dishonesty is mind numbing. I have a rule that the power levels of the tech can't be used since the power changes depending on each scene and the written tech manuals are random numbers made up by people with no actual concept of the science.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Seriously? Those lasers have power on the order of billions of tons of TNT, but unshielded light craft can survive a direct strike and the entire fleet of thousands of them can't destroy a planet? And they're powered by fairly mundane generators compared to Star Trek's various exotic reactions and bottled black holes.

There's some levels of BS you just have to walk away from.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Star Wars is a space opera, not a science fiction. It helps to make sense of how SOME things work, but really, the movies are about space wizards in a feudal galactic society.

You can't compare tech in a space opera to that in a science fiction... science fiction generally tries to make scientific sense with their universe, whereas space operas put the story first, and iron out the details later.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Why does anyone care? It is two different mythologies, you can like both, neither is better than the other and trying to 'shoot down' one or the other is just stupid. Besides, Superman could just throw the Hulk through any star destroyer or starship with his pinky finger as he juggled planets with his free hand.:p
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I had a similar argument with a friend of mine. He was on the starwars side and said the same arguments about power and output and all that jazz.

Navigational deflectors, a technology designed to stop cosmic radiation/debris from damaging the ship at high velocities, is tuned to simply bounce that stuff out of the way. Lasers fall into this range, being simply intensive energy light. Turbo lasers may do gigatons of impact damage, but what if they don't hit anything?

Their sensor technology is massively inferior, they couldn't distinguish a freighter from a pile of junk. The falcon couldn't detect the missing alderaan even after it had dropped out of hyperspace.

Hyperdrive does seem to be superior to warpdrive.

Even the heaviest of starships would be able to out maneuver their capital ships. Fighters are inconsequential as onboard targetting systems can track and easily destroy them.

Federation shielding is far superior. Yes turbo lasers do lots of damage and starships would be able to take multiple hits. However their shields are designed for fighting laser not phasers. I would imagine laser shielding is unable to protect the ship due to the exotic properties of PHASed Energy.

Resources, yes they have the edge on resources.

Cloaking devices aren't explained very well, just that they need to fitted to larger ships due to their energy requirements. Romulan cloaking devices simple bend energy around them. Sophisticated sensors or not, you still need to know what to look for.

My friend used similar arguments to that website and, in the end, I couldn't be arsed. I simply said... two borg cubes. One to take the initial hit and the second to have adapted and assimilated the entire bunch.

Lion.