Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Lead Ship Artist Adam Williams talks ships in a new Outpostgamez interview. Give it a read here.


Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
1. As you are aware, at this moment our ships dont move up the rank tree with us, (many have indicated they wish for their ship to upgrade with them) could we we see a refit or upgrade or the ability for a ship to migrate?

This is something many fans want and many devs also want this but we have to maintain the importance of retaining IP. For example, I dont know if we can have tier 5 Connies flying around owning Borg cubes.
You can already do that with the T2 connies if you have high end gear and know what your doing. So what we currently have in game right now completely contradicts that reasoning.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to break it to you, but you can already do that with the T2 connies if you have high end gear and know what your doing. So what we currently have in game right now completely contradicts that answer.
I hate to break it to you, but a T2 Connie with Mk XI gear is still a T2 Connie, and not a T5 Connie.



*not that I am in any way endorsing the idea of T5 Connies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I hate to break it to you, but a T2 Connie with Mk XI gear is still a T2 Connie, and not a T5 Connie.
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I never said it was. However, he is using the logic that it doesnt make sense for a connie to be able to own a Borg cube. And if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game.
I understood what you meant! It does not look good for the higher rank connie but it would be nice if they built a new 25th Century one that was gold plated or something. If there was a market for it in teh 25th Century I am sure some ship designer would start to work on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPG: Exclusive Interview w/ Artist CaptLogan
I want to carry forward with making +1 versions of all ships, especially the Sovereign. I want to make new variants in the 2409 style until every ship has one. I also want to master classic Starfleet style ships in the way that I think Mark Rademaker has. Hes awesome.
Is this the contradiction you were taking about? making +1 versions of all ships"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Well, what u r saying is that a skilled captain (i.e., knows where to put skill points, what consoles/gear to use and how to use it efficiently) can win from an underdog position, which seems completely in-line with the IP. We did see that the TNG and Voyager crews had enough ingenuity to cope with many "unreasonable" scenarios. The Maquis managed to use shuttles to beat Federation and Cardassian cruisers.

However, it doesn't seem right that it would be easy for a Connie to beat a Borg Cube. It's a smaller, slower and less advanced ship. It should be non-trivial (or even hard) to use it against high-end enemies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-de-Lyon
Well, what u r saying is that a skilled captain (i.e., knows where to put skill points, what consoles/gear to use and how to use it efficiently) can win from an underdog position, which seems completely in-line with the IP. We did see that the TNG and Voyager crews had enough ingenuity to cope with many "unreasonable" scenarios. The Maquis managed to use shuttles to beat Federation and Cardassian cruisers.

However, it doesn't seem right that it would be easy for a Connie to beat a Borg Cube. It's a smaller, slower and less advanced ship. It should be non-trivial (or even hard) to use it against high-end enemies.
None of that has anything to do with the point of my post. Logan is saying it doesnt make sense that a Connie could own a Borg cube, hence it wouldnt make sense to have T5 connies. Yet we already can own Borg cubes in our T2 connies. So if a hypothetical T5 connie owning a Borg cube does not make sense, an even weaker T2 connie owning a Borg cube makes even less sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Please don't derail this thread. We all know about your lobby, you've already got a thread about similar issues with the suggested Ambassador class, we all understand your point. No need to be redundant. There are already several threads that cover the T5 Connie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Lets be honest Grand Nagus, if we are talking true IP asherence here - without some sort of technobable tech; it doesn't make sense for ONE Federation or Klingon ship to be able to take on a Borg Cube (at any level) and win.

Thus the arguement itself iseither flawed or moot at that point with regard to that aspect of the current Star Trek IP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Lets be honest Grand Nagus, if we are talking true IP asherence here - without some sort of technobable tech; it doesn't make sense for ONE Federation or Klingon ship to be able to take on a Borg Cube (at any level) and win.

Thus the arguement itself iseither flawed or moot at that point with regard to that aspect of the current Star Trek IP.
Logan is the one who brought up owning Borg cubes, not me. I'm simply discussing what he said. If you think his argument is flawed, tell him.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 AM.