Lt. Commander
Thinking about how fast you have to press various combinations of buttons in PvP combat, and remembering there are things like AutoIt, I wonder: has any of you written small scripts for use in battles, which press buttons for you under certain conditions (even if it is just setting F1 to a group of defenses you might call "defense pattern alpha" or something like that)?

Anyway, what do you think about it? Would this be seen as a kind of cheating?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
STO actually features highly flexible keybinding. Abilities, power settings, UI commands, chat commands and other miscellaneous things can be bound to keys, mouse buttons, the mouse wheel etc.

It is possible to bind several abilities on your tray to a single button, which will then cycle through those abilities with each consecutive press.

You can read about keybinding and commands in these threads:
Keybinds For Dummies
Basic key binds and command list
Command line help

It's in fact crucial to do this in PvP, to be able to focus your attention to the battle instead of the power tray as well as to improve your reaction time.

Using external programs to achieve things faster than humanly possible, however, constitutes cheating as far as I know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2012, 02:47 AM
I use a tool called "my fingers".
It came pre installed when i was born and man can i tell you did it suck at first.

However it got patched significantly in the years to follow and got good enough to perform even very intricate tasks without a hitch.
So i also got a support app called "brain" and together they allow me to press buttons on a keyboard in rapid succession in various combinations.

Its awesome. I can also pre program certain patterns of key presses by using "memory & pre-meditation".

Its awesome, i can only recommend it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
It came pre installed when i was born and man can i tell you did it suck at first.

However it got patched significantly in the years to follow and got good enough to perform even very intricate tasks without a hitch.
So i also got a support app called "brain" and together they allow me to press buttons on a keyboard in rapid succession in various combinations.

Its awesome. I can also pre program certain patterns of key presses by using "memory & pre-meditation".

Its awesome, i can only recommend it.

It's true!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Only keybind I use is 'Fire All Weapons' + 'Distribute Shields' bound to the space bar.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
im not good with keybinds i still point and click. effiecient no, but i can hold my own against a decent pug or with my own team in a premade. I try to keep my builds simple to achieve this. Healers however dont have that luxury and would prob benefit from some sort of key binding deal.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
I've many keybind sets different for each starship so complicated that sometimes I get confused...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2012, 06:12 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
careful, you'll go blind. Or so I was told as a child. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
[quote=Roach;4004907]
Quote:

careful, you'll go blind. Or so I was told as a child. :p
I don't know what you mean...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwrath

I don't know what you mean...
lol- I heard you "worked it over" like it owed you money. :p*

* the above joke is purely for humor and holds no basis in fact or should be construed that the subject of said joke is in any way "working it over" for monetary compensation or otherwise and was offered merely as a snarky comment meant to lighten the moods of others and in no way reflects the speakers level of respect or is meant to cuase hostility.**

** on a side related note the speaker would like to thank the replier for the opportunity to use said comeback finally after years of waiting for someone to offer the chance.