Lt. Commander
# 1 Meet the Team: Lee Dotson
08-28-2009, 06:08 PM
What do you do on Star Trek Online?

I'm the art lead on STO, so that means that for the most part anything that's visual and in the game is my responsibility.

How long have you worked in gaming, and what did you do before Star Trek Online?

I started working in the game industry 11 years ago as a character artist on a little-known RPG called Anachronox. Since then I've worked on Alice, Diablo 3, Unreal Championship 2 and Hellgate: London.

Who is your favorite Star Trek character and why?

Kira from DS9. What can I say, I'm into idealistic revolutionaries. (Yes, the degree of her idealism is probably arguable but I think any sort of revolution requires some level of idealism.)

What is an interesting fact about you that players would be surprised to know?

Hmmm ... well, I could swim before I could walk, I once taught myself how to write upside down and backwards simultaneously, and in my free time I do a lot of dancing and helping people set things on fire in new and interesting ways - though generally not at the same time.

If you could choose to be an alien on Star Trek, which species would you want to be?

The Tzenketh, hands down.

Which is cooler: monkeys, robots, pirates or ninjas?

I think they're all a bit played out, to be honest.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to break into the gaming industry?

If you don't love it don't do it unless it's something that will allow you to do what you love. Honestly, though, I'd say that's pretty good advice for life in general. Other than that the single biggest thing I can recommend is to be tenacious and learn from your mistakes. When I was trying to break into the industry I was rejected repeatedly and most of the time I didn't even receive a response at all from the companies I was applying to. The important part is that after each failure you look at your work, evaluate your strengths/weaknesses, do your best to correct them and then try again. As trite as this may sound it's more often dedication than raw talent that leads to achieving our goals.

What was your first favorite video game?

Mail Order Monsters for the C64. It has Godzilla wielding a machinegun and a mace on the cover, what's not to love?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-28-2009, 06:17 PM
we look forward to see more of your work Lee.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice work on the art, it's looking quite stunning. Can't wait to see more
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamgros View Post
Nice work on the art, it's looking quite stunning. Can't wait to see more
I agree. I think the artwork so far is great, Lee. Any chance for some Intrepid class shots? (if there's one out there and I've missed it, someone please linky it; tia)

I'm very pleased with the art direction we've seen so far, and await more. (I'm not going to PAX, but I imagine we'll see (a lot of?) new art from that.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I seen some gameplay footage at the press video at gamescon, the art is truly fantastic.

Brillaint job, from the systems to the planets terrain, Great work.

Thank you and your team
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh, so YOUR the guy who likes all the glow effects. :p