Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I really like Star Trek Online but I really dislike the dark, depressing hopelessness that seems to be its most prevalent themes.

Star Trek has always been about hope, and optimism, progress and peace.

When I was playing "Second Wave", an episode that I thought they did a really good job on, I despaired at the admiral saying "The Federation has about 3 years left before we are completely destroyed by the borg!"

THAT IS SO DEPRESSING! 3 years??? Do you know how bad that makes things? That is all but hopeless. That is not humanity reaching out to the stars and evolving to the next level, it is our inevitable doom.

Now, I am not complaining about this one line, but I think it represents what Star Trek Online is thematically all about: we're at war WITH EVERYONE, we're killing and being killed, and we're doomed.

I remember when the game launched and I'd get those missions in nebula where you investigate an empty base. As you read the reports on the terminals, in each every single one, you learn that EVERYONE YOU'VE COME TO RESCUE IS DEAD. This is what eventually was called a "diplomacy" mission. The scientists opened a wormhole to the Delta Quadrant? Dead. The advisors on the Gorn border? Dead. They're all dead, never saved at the end by your team. One group died ina cave-in. How horrible and sad!

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight the borg. I'm not saying we need non-violent missions. Obviously these things should be what the game is about. But I'd like to see more of an emphasis on hope and optimism.

I'm still hoping that the 3800 end up allying themselves with the Federation at the very end of the saga and flying off to fight the borg to help save everyone. I want to see an entire series about Deffera joining the Federation. Throw in attacks and battles, but have the objective be us fighting for unity, not just fighting a hopeless battle to survive.

Does anyone else agree? Again, I am focussing on theme, aesthetic, and feel. I'd like more of this game to feel like Star Trek and not Starship Troopers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Just do diplomatic missions, exploration, etc. There's plenty of that. You don't have to participate in "doom and gloom" battles if you don't want to.

Also, the Borg is very much a part of Star Trek. Not dealing with them isn't good as you'll eventually be assimilated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
What you're referring to is ultimately your own idea of what Star Trek is.

It's an idea that became prevelant with the preachy, pedantic first few seasons of The Next Generation that often had Picard continue on a long diatribe about why his modern day humanity was so much better than those "archaic, savage" days of humanity of old. Which is a very humorous take to me, because most modern anthropologists would argue that there is no such thing as a "savage" culture, but simply a different one than what you're use to. Not exactly the tolerant, principled future Picard thought it lived in, huh?

In reality, after Gene Roddenberry's death, TNG took a darker and more mature turn that really made the show come alive more. Voyager was certainly darker as well, although I would argue that was probably moreso the fault of Janeway being an absolute lunatic. But even Deep Space 9 carried most of the series on a war theme.

Enterprise, my favorite series of all of them, attempted to show how the final frontier was really a dangerous and wild place for early humanity. Well, at least it tried to, before getting caught up into temporal cold wars and Xindi attacks.

Most people would even tell you that Kirk was rather a "cowboy" in how he dealt with situations: both he and Spock agreed to violate the prime directive on at least one occasion.

So this happy uplifting universe of Star Trek you think is so prevalent, really isn't in the grand scheme of things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I have to agree with the OP. The game is astoundingly bleak in outlook if you stop and think about what is going on. Star Trek differs form other sci-fi genres in its hope for a birght future filled with optimism.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Though I agree partly with the OP. I understand the reason in making episodes the way they do. It keeps people hooked. Especially people that aren't necessarily heavily hooked into Star Trek. Its suspenseful.

And in defense, DS9 carried some pretty dark themes for Star Trek. Thanks to Ron Moore, the show stood out in that it sometimes causes you to question certain beliefs.

IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
I have to agree with the OP. The game is astoundingly bleak in outlook if you stop and think about what is going on. Star Trek differs form other sci-fi genres in its hope for a birght future filled with optimism.
Deep Space 9 was much darker in tone than TNG and Voyager. So this episode has that DS9 bleakness to it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
Yup, ST is supposed to show that there is still hope in the end...not...well everyone is dead...we're going to die in X time....well off ot the next mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
It is true that TNG went way too far with the attitude that Humanity was so much better in the 24th century than they were just a hundred years earlier. In the first 2 seasons Picard could be insufferable at times.

However, in every episode, in every season, of every Star Trek series, (and the good Star Trek movies) no matter how dark the plot was there was always an underlining hint of optimism. There isn't any of that in STO. We are at war with EVERYONE, even with people that it doesn't even make sense to be at war with (Klingons). STO is just about kill, kill, kill, die, die, die, which is pretty common for a video game. But a Star Trek video game should have been different.

But I think the hopeless feeling in STO is a good indication of the sorry state of STO and the Star Trek franchise in general. The fact that the top brass in STO are predicting the fall of the Federation in 3 years, if things stay the same, pretty much parallels STO's and the Star Trek franchises real life situation. Other than the JJ reboot movie, there hasn't been a Star Trek movie or episode since 2005. STO went free to play in less than 2 years. It's almost like the STO writers are saying that if something doesn't change the Star Trek franchise will be completely dead in 3 years.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
What you're referring to is ultimately your own idea of what Star Trek is.
I have to agree with this statement.

But I also sympathize with the OP. If all I want is doom and gloom and relentless bloodletting, I would just be a Star Wars fan and play that other game. I think the duty officer system and the economy revamp has done a lot for non-combat "gameplay" but I would love to see more. But, as stated by other posters, there are technical challenges to overcome, inherent to the MMO format, to make such gameplay fun. I think the key will be more mini-games, meta-games (territory control, crafting improvement), and new types of missions.