Lt. Commander
# 1 Tired of stupid people
02-12-2012, 12:32 PM
So here i am....new to the game no idea what needs to get done, but willing to learn.
I get squaded with folk that don't want to let me know where they need my phaser or ship. when asked ignore me then want to whine when it all goes wrong......................to those that do this STOP WHINING AND TEACH.

I have found most new players willing to learn and lets be honest we all make mistakes. Add to this that depending on the group there are different ways to do stuff and you can see how new players can be left thinking that vet players are all just op asses.take a sec folks to make sure everyone knows the run and if they don't give them a rundown.
it will make your day go smoother less stressed and game play more fun.

relax folks it is just a game.:p
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Was this for a STF? If so, there are plenty of YouTube videos to show you what needs to be done. STF's are on timers, so there really isn't time to teach you what to do. It's up to you to be prepared before going into battle. If it isn't for a STF, what specifically are you talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Screwlose
So here i am....new to the game no idea what needs to get done, but willing to learn.
I get squaded with folk that don't want to let me know where they need my phaser or ship. when asked ignore me then want to whine when it all goes wrong......................to those that do this STOP WHINING AND TEACH.

I have found most new players willing to learn and lets be honest we all make mistakes. Add to this that depending on the group there are different ways to do stuff and you can see how new players can be left thinking that vet players are all just op asses.take a sec folks to make sure everyone knows the run and if they don't give them a rundown.

You could just read the many guides and posts that are available....Take a sec to prepare YOURSELF and then ask directed questions that show you know something about the encounter, not 'hey what do we do here?' Myself, I tend to be the read up first type (which completely fit a profile in a understand your co-worker class we had to take a few weeks ago)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Screwlose

The problem mostly is the NOOBS come to learn in Elite, and thats not what elite is 4.
When im playing on normal, i will teach, but when im on ELITE and NOOBS even don't have a remodelator...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I thoroughly understand where you are coming from.

please understand though

1. There is a sect of players who believe you should prepare on your own and thus need a minimal of teaching.

i.e

The forums. Back before the stfs were made into what it is now, before I ever stepped foot in an stf. I had read most of the guides on the forums. I had watched one or two video walkthroughs. Then I went and prepared for the run. 80 hypos. HDB's, Bat'leths, Borg tribble, ALL kits for my class, Sniper rifles, etc.

The run. I wrote " I am new Who do I follow" I followed who answered. I looked at what the others who were my class were doing. I emulated.

2. There are the teachers. I was this once. There was a time where you had to form a team (ONLY WAY) then go into stf's. You had time to say hey, everyone has this? Know this? I want to try doing this. etc, etc. Teachers thrived here. As you could take an all newbie team and take your time and teach them.

With this new luck of the draw we have now. You may have a teacher who is patient, but you may also have the get this done so I can do my next one kinda guys. The guys who are on their 300th run. The people who have little patience for those who do not know the game. Those who are not prepared.

With the current system I can give you the run down but unfortunately if you are woefully unprepared, you are an unwanted waste to the team.

I.E assuming you are an engineer and you go into most ground stf's with say the "Support Technician Kit" and thats it. Then said person's contribution to the team is minimal. Quite.

I can tell them where to stand what to shoot but what are they going to do. Give it a combat supply?

tldr

some want to teach
some expect you to know and be prepared
Eitherway not all new people want to be teached
Those that do sometimes arent prepared to be taught.

Pm people for help. Pm me ill take on a private run to show what to do, but going into a pug and expecting people to have patience, especially now is quite much.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah, reminds me of yesterday. Screwed up on Infected Space, put a bit too much into shooting a genny and it went boom prematurely. Some guy passive aggressively insinuated there was a 'noob' in the scenario ruining it. I fessed up. I told him it was salvageable (the other three could have been synchronized for destruction just fine). He got angry. Suggested I read a guide. I objected, but the reality is I did kinda screw up the scenario, so I didn't have much of a leg to stand on, so I have to take typed abuse from some person whom I don't know but I generalized as a punk kid, all while he's generalized me as some know nothing 'n00b' (Ironic that we're both generalizing, isn't it?).

One honest little mistake (even experienced players make them) and I had some guy breathing down my neck. Why?

Truth is, it's pandemic with so many STF'ers. Listen to zone chat on DS9 at the right times, and it's always complaints. War stories about how n00bs ruined an STF. People who try to learn from these more experienced players are just told to buzz off and 'read a guide'. Insults hurled at the slightest offenses.

And of course, newbies running in unprepared, not taking advice when it's politely offered, not answering questions of why they're doing what they do, or not listening at all. I must have given out a million EC worth of regenerators, hypos and ship parts since I started joining elite STF runs, answered the same questions over and over, and gotten the same deafening silence when I ask questions of my own. *L*

The problem is that a lot of players are a combination of impatience and rudeness. :p

Newbies don't want to put in the time to read and learn, and elite players don't want to put in the time to teach. There are exceptions, but for the most part, it people not willing to step back, chill out, examine what went wrong, and go from there.

And I have less disdain for newbies. They can learn eventually. Veteran players, once they do decide to be abusive and entitled, don't change their ways. The guys that grumble and complain on zone chat on DS9 aren't going to learn how to act better. Neither is the guy screaming 'n00b' on every single STF run that messes up. They're the lost causes. That's why we need more people to teach.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
you should check out shadow dragon fleet we welcome all players of all experiences and we teach those that are new to the game and we give them gear and requirement and do missions with them and our site has alot of useful links to help new players so check us out www.shadowdragonfleet.webs.com
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Stop playing Fed and Make a KDF character. Your problem would then be solved.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately, the biggest issue is that many people don't feel the need to be polite, courteous, or show manners on the Internet where they're behind a screen and keyboard, and not face to face with people. It's not a new phenomenon certainly, but it is most noticeable in MMOs or other online games where a lot of people are gathered.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa27 View Post
Stop playing Fed and Make a KDF character. Your problem would then be solved.
While I appreciate the joke, the STF queues don't care what faction you come from. Rollin' KDF doesn't keep you safe from teaming with feds. ;)
Closed Thread