Lt. Commander
People will make broken or exploitive missions regardless of how many Foundry features are kept out of their hands, if they have the inclination to do so. Why keep various tools out of the hands of the many people who will use them well because only a few will misuse them? Wouldn't it be much better to add said Foundry features in and then take action against the ne'er do wells? In fact, it may not even be necessary for there to be GM intervention, what with how permanent bad ratings are. I know I would first check with the author of a broken mission to see if it was a mistake, and then I would only report/downvote it if they refused to fix the problem.

I say let authors do things like beaming out contacts, because the playerbase will weed out the bad eggs while the Foundry stands to prosper from the enhanced tools that would be available.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
The reason contacts can't beam out has nothing to do with abuse. The statements to that effect never made any sense. The same abuse is possible with objects which we have full control of showing and hiding.

I think it was some technical limitation of the Foundry tools at the time, and someone blurted out a weird justification without spending 2 minutes thinking over whether it made any sense.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Well I was going to post a link to the original post detailing that, be it seems potentially this post no longer exists (Massive archiving searches shall continue)

If I am to take what you say then Nagorak, then I very much invite someone from the Cryptic side of things to just say that. IF something cant be done with hte current iteration of the codebase, I would rather be told that then some excuse or something. Now Im sure what I ask is too simplistic a view and that more likely then not its best policy not to admit to shortcomings. so who knows if an answer will be forthcoming
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Well, I'll admit this is all speculation on my part. I'm not a betazoid, so I don't know for sure. But I'm also not inclined to believe an explanation that doesn't make any sense either.

If the ability to hide contacts was really disabled due to fears of abuse then that doesn't say much for the logical reasoning of the staff at Cryptic. I remember it was posted in the forumsd, but it just doesn't make any sense. If that was their thinking then it needs to be rethought in any case.

If the next season's update has the ability to hide contacts I won't care what the story behind it was. I'll be happy either way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Well I have always maintained that if a author does something that breaks their mission for others, then the PLAYER WILL NOTE IT. lord knows we get enough 1 stars when cryptic breaks something after all....
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Well I have always maintained that if a author does something that breaks their mission for others, then the PLAYER WILL NOTE IT. lord knows we get enough 1 stars when cryptic breaks something after all....
This is why I made this thread. Why limit the tools that the GOOD authors NEED because a few bad authors would exploit and abuse them, *especially* when the people who play the missions are already vicious enough as it is about faults in the Foundry missions that they play?