Lt. Commander
# 1 Eurogamer on STO
09-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Eurogamer's Keza MacDonald has posted her impressions of Star Trek Online from GamesCom. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Good Read. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
ah awesome review, thanks for the link.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
a good read.

nice summary on the aspects of the game. Thanks Rekhan

they did get the year wrong however. 2309?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
WOOT!!! from the article:

We're getting a beta "really soon", apparently - "I can't tell you exactly or I'll get yelled at," grins Zinkievich

Live long and conquer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Decently written, and mostly complimentary... but it seems a rehash of the 4 part press conference video we saw leaked to YouTube. But thanks for the link!
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Cool. Beta soon. Let's see what happens.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I keep trying my best to imagine how different elements of the game won't work, but every time someone who's actually played the game or seen a hands-on demo shares their impressions, I keep getting convinced that Cryptic is going to stick the landing on this title, and then some.

Quote:
Zinc said: "We have hundreds and hundreds of maps in the game right now," claims Zinkievich. "We have invested a lot of time and engineering resources in what we call the genesis system, which allows the game to algorithmically generate new planets, new systems and new alien races to meet."
It sounds like they're pre-designing the Genesis worlds, with a lot of help from the algorithm program within the Genesis System itself. Given this, with other revelations that the system is smart enough not to give you a repeat world just like one you, or your friends, have already discovered, gives me high hopes that the Genesis mechanic is really going to shine. If they have hundreds and hundreds now, it's probably not an insurmountable task for the Devs to use the Gen System to create thousands if deemed necessary.

Quote:
Reviewer Keza said: "There are already plenty of ideas in place for post-release updates, too - including ground vehicles and the ability to go inside your own ship and use it as a lobby space ..."
The mention of ground vehicles struck me, even though this isn't new information. I didn't catch it before, but what occurred to me this go-around is that if ground vehicles are planned, then ground vehicles will have some useful purpose, and if they'll have some useful purpose, then the navigable surface areas of the planets must be much larger than I had previously imagined. Will those areas be as large as a single city zone in City of Heroes? Who knows, but the planned inclusion of vehicles to enhance travel speeds over ground tell me they'll be significantly large enough with lots of room for all sorts of surprises and secrets and adventure.

All in all, it was an excellent review and whets the appetite even more for a hands-on trial run and debug-fest.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM
''here are already plenty of ideas in place for post-release updates, too - including ground vehicles and the ability to go inside your own ship and use it as a lobby space - but Cryptic wants to make sure you can customise every aspect of your bridge and officer's quarters, rather than just giving players a generic space to call their own.''

I like the sound of that