Lt. Commander
# 1 ZAM Talks STO
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
ZAM's Andrew Beegle got a chance to take a look at Star Trek Online at Gamescom and posted his impressions. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Ship size
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I hope we'll have the optiont to "zoom in" on our ship. The Ship in that screenshot looks like the size of a Dime :-/ We're supposed to be the Captain of A Starship, There supposed to be Massive!!!! So atleast give us the option to make them Appear Bigger than they really are.

Edit:

"FIRST!!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I saw a demo of STO in LV and I can tell you can BOTH:

- Zoom in and out/rotate the camera

- Move each of those little display windows (impulse, power distribution, shild distribution, etc.)

Other customization is probably possible as well, they just didn't highlight it in the vid.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
There has been a lot of good information (and impressions, for that matter) coming out of Gamescom, and I like that the game is getting the more mainstream attention that it deserves. Hopefully articles like this drive even more people to join the community!
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
" Micro-transactions"???? Please please please don't do this. If I'm paying a subscription fee I should be allowed access to most everything. If this exists it should be for items that were offered as promotions. And it should be rare. Very rare.

One of the reasons I like MMO's is that with a low monthly fee, your in a world where everyone is equal. (besides those who cheat and buy gold) and there is no difference between someone who has $20/mo of free spending money that he spends on the subscription, and someone who has hundreds of dollars to spend.

Micro-transactions gives those with superiority in wealth in RL superiority in customization in game. and this takes away from the equality and enjoyment of the MMO. its also not what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is about a society that has moved beyond money as a means to measure success. and Micro-transactions drags the whole game back a few centuries.

Again PLEASE MAKE THIS RARE!!!!!

Also, I like the UI so far. But could you spend a little extra time and resources giving me a bridge view for role play sake. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just don't want to be looking at the outside of my ship the whole time I'm in space.

Eventually with an expansion I hope to tour my own ship. this is after all what would really make the game feel "trek".

But all in all I like it, and I'm impressed. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for more news.

-Cryptic Love Meter dropped due to Micro-transactions
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Eitherway I'd like to have a detailed description of the hud. Looks interessting!

Unfortunately there'll be a lack of interiors @ launch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I want to play the game on a TV as big as the one in the pic!

NIce information in the interview, each one repeats the same info but then as slightly different bits to help piece together a picture of the how the game is shaping up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
I hope we'll have the optiont to "zoom in" on our ship. The Ship in that screenshot looks like the size of a Dime :-/ We're supposed to be the Captain of A Starship, There supposed to be Massive!!!! So atleast give us the option to make them Appear Bigger than they really are.

Edit:

"FIRST!!!!!"
Not sure if this was already answered, but yes you can, the recent video from the Gamescom in Germany showed them when they were zoomed into a Bird of Prey and then changed the ship to a massive battle cruiser, they had to zoom out quite a lot, it'll be controlled by the usual mouse wheel or + and - keys that most games go for i'd guess, thats how you do it in Champions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-02-2009, 03:34 AM
I only get a static "Story not found" :-/

Edit: Seems like the OPs links are broken, but the News-Links still work.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Looks like STO got good reviews all round from gamescom gratz guys