Lt. Commander
Quote:
At first I thought I was going to split this column and discuss two different things: the new DS9 Bundle offered by Cryptic Studios in the Star Trek Online C-Store and the newest featured episode, The 2800: Of Bajor.

Although there still is a lot to talk about the bundle, after playing today's episode, I realized that it would be impossible to write about both and that I needed to concentrate on one.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02...ve-as-it-gets/
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
About the bundle ...

Quote:
which makes it a really good deal for 1800 C-Store points.
Not sure I'd call it a good deal for 1800 C-Points. I got the TOS bundle for a lot less.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
And this is really inaccurate:

Quote:
The 2800 series has been described by friends, quite accurately, as something unlike any mission STO players have been asked to undertake before.
I'm sorry but I've done enough diplomacy missions, and clicked enough consoles in my time, to really disagree with that sentiment. I've found the mission to be on par with the Breen non-combat mission, just extended out a bit further. In fact, this entire arc so far has been pretty similar to the Breen series in term of pacing and action and story. I like the Breen Featured Episode. So I'm not knocking this series. Just saying that the second part of the 2800 isn't really anything we haven't already done a zillion times in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2012, 03:31 PM
A bit much excitement for a "mission/episode" that is actually just a collection of a few minigames.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry, but "you're friends" did not play the same 2800 that most players were subjected to. Most broken series in STO history sadly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
After the box-bashing debacle, I find it hard to read much of Terrilynn's Massively column without getting the "Cryptic Cheerleader" vibe. I can't say I enjoy it.

I understand that the column is there to promote the game, but lately... Yeah.

Sorry, Terrilynn. I'm not feeling it, and didn't find much to agree with in this week's column, either.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
A bit much excitement for a "mission/episode" that is actually just a collection of a few minigames.
The Captain's Log entries are always like this. They are little more than PR spin for the game. Don't expect any actual "games journalism".
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I'm sorry but I've done enough diplomacy missions, and clicked enough consoles in my time, to really disagree with that sentiment. I've found the mission to be on par with the Breen non-combat mission, just extended out a bit further. In fact, this entire arc so far has been pretty similar to the Breen series in term of pacing and action and story. I like the Breen Featured Episode. So I'm not knocking this series. Just saying that the second part of the 2800 isn't really anything we haven't already done a zillion times in the past.
I'd disagree for the following reasons:
  • This is the first STO mission to have truly branching objectives--not just optional ones.
  • Puzzles done in this series outclass anything in the Breen Series: more involved, incorporated artwork, etc.
  • "City Zone" of Bajor has more usefulness post-mission than Defera still does today (i.e. not a lone Ferengi selling stuff).
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
The Captain's Log entries are always like this. They are little more than PR spin for the game. Don't expect any actual "games journalism".
I wouldn't go this far. I too find them a bit on the optimistic side but I do like reading TS's articles and, well, everyone has a different perspective on things, you may hate it, others may like it. When I disagree with the opinion, I can still find enough on the "what" of things to merit reading the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd disagree for the following reasons:
  • This is the first STO mission to have truly branching objectives--not just optional ones.
  • Puzzles done in this series outclass anything in the Breen Series: more involved, incorporated artwork, etc.
  • "City Zone" of Bajor has more usefulness post-mission than Defera still does today (i.e. not a lone Ferengi selling stuff).
Bingo.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm never offended when someone disagrees with my POV so no worries there. I will however happily defend myself when someone even remotely thinks I'm here to sell the game. Frankly - I'm asked to do an opinion column and that's what I do.

I think most people that read my blogs and my Massively column will vouch for the fact that I am no one's "cheerleader."

I want a great STO and sometime I complain about stuff too.

It's why my column so clearly stated that I didn't think a lot of people would like "Of Bajor" as much as I did because they hate reading and running around a lot. Was I wrong there? Nope, I think not. Many people didn't like this mission because they had to read and run around a lot.

Since I never team for an FE when I'm going to write about it (because I like to read and watch cutscenes and don't want to tie down any potential teammate) it was impossible for me to know about the teaming bug.

With the exception of the bug with the "captured Changeling" that I was informed about this morning - this mission played beautifully for me - ALL ASPECTS of this mission played beautifully for me.

So I can't write about bugs I do not see. And since I have to write these columns well in advance of publishing, I didn't see any major complaints about bugs until this morning. (My column is due more than 24 hrs before it's published.)

Again, I can TOTALLY understand why a lot of people don't like this mission. It doesn't surprise me in the least; however I loved it. I like reading new story content and Kestrel gave me a truckload.

But for anyone who even thinks that somehow I would taint my personal reputation on a column about a video game you clearly do not know me as a person.