Lt. Commander
Alrighty, long time MMO player, just tried out STO in the F2P and I'm loving. Needless to say, im already Admiral lower! PVP is the end goal here and here is what I'm lookng at running (some of the parts I have already purchased so this is end goal and will transfer later on to vice admiral):

Assault Cruiser
Weapons (All MK X)
Fore: 2 x DBB Disruptor, 2 x BA Disruptor (possibly drop 1 beam array for quantums/Chron)
Aft: 4 x BA Disruptor

Very Rare Covarient shield w/ Cap, Pha, and Tet MK X
Rare Positron Deflector w/Shield emit and something else MK X

Eng Console:
2x Rare MK X EPS, 1x Very rare Force Field, 1x Rare Field Emitter

Tac Console:
3x Rare Disruptor MK X

Sci Console:
1x Rare Bio Monitor MK X, 1x Rare Emitter Array MK X

Boff Skills:
Tac Ensign: Tac Team 1
Tac Lt: Beam overload 1, APB 1

LT. Cmdr Engineer: ET1, EPtS 2, DEM 2
Cmdr Engineer: EPtS 1, EPtW 2, AtSIF 2, RSP 3

Sci LT: ST 1, HE 2

So, I am going to focus on one beam, and I was looking at disruptors for their sweet debuff. However, I hear Tetryon, Polaron, and Plasma are viable PVP. First question is my weapon layout, would it be better to go disruptors or switch to a different beam for PVP. Also, is my setup with DBB going to work for good alpha strike instead of HY1 or 2 (thus switching for moar torps).

My boff are my next concern. So far, this setup has helped my teams and myself stay alive. But I question what versions I have in what spots and I also question DEM2. Is it worth taking DEM or instead grabbing say....aceton beam or Eject Warp plasma??

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks!
Lt. Commander
Hey,

I saw you're note. I flown the AC for more than a year off and on and while other ships like the Excelsior lure me away for awhile I always find myself coming back to her.

Looking at your described powers I found your build to be ...interesting. It's by no means terrible but there's a few areas for improvement.

To start out with, there's a few general bits of advice for being better at pvp or just have a better ship build in general that I'd like to pass along:

No. 1 Join the Organized PVP channel. A bit of trash talk happens in there but that is far and away outbalanced by the helpful advice you get from your fellow players.

No. 2 Expect to get killed in pvp. A lot. I don't mean that as an insult but in VA pvp you'll facing some of the games best players, some of which have been playing since open beta and have spent a lot of time working on their builds.

No. 3 Drop the RSP 3. Now. There is absolutely positively no reason to have anything higher than the LT version of that power. There's no significant benefit to that ability. Please, swap it out with Aux to Strucutral integrity 3 or Extend shields 3 but get rid of it as soon as possible.

There are a few other tweaks i would recommend such as getting the MACO or Cap x3 shield but to be honest another really good player has made an excellent guide for making a good cruiser (he's also in OPVP by the way).

You can find his guide in the pvp section of the forums:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=249906

Good luck and enjoy the pew.

Easy
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I switched things around and I have a new spread. I also have a third engineer bridge officer I can rotate in with a different build.

Tac ensign: TT1
Tac Lt: BO1, APB1

Eng Lt. Cmnd: ET1, EPtS2, DEM2
Eng Cmnd: EPtW1, RSP1, EPtS3, ETS3
ALTERNATE Boff Eng Cmnd: EPtS1, EPtW2, ????, EWP2 OR ETS3

Sci Lt: TB1, HE2

I am thinking of a couple things. For the Sci officer, I may drop the TB1 and take ST1 instead for moar heals and debuff wipes.

For the Alternate engineer cmnd, I am thinking for my third spot of taking RSP 1 and either DEM2 or ATSIF 2 and then droping DEM2 on my Lt cmnd, moving EPtS2 to 3 and taking EPtW2 on him to make it look like:

Eng Lt. Cmnd: ET1, EPtW2, EPtS3
Eng Cmnd: EPtS1, RSP1, DEM2 or ATSIF2, EWP2 or ETS3

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstriker01 View Post
I switched things around and I have a new spread. I also have a third engineer bridge officer I can rotate in with a different build.

Tac ensign: TT1
Tac Lt: BO1, APB1

Eng Lt. Cmnd: ET1, EPtS2, DEM2
Eng Cmnd: EPtW1, RSP1, EPtS3, ETS3
ALTERNATE Boff Eng Cmnd: EPtS1, EPtW2, ????, EWP2 OR ETS3

Sci Lt: TB1, HE2

I am thinking of a couple things. For the Sci officer, I may drop the TB1 and take ST1 instead for moar heals and debuff wipes.

For the Alternate engineer cmnd, I am thinking for my third spot of taking RSP 1 and either DEM2 or ATSIF 2 and then droping DEM2 on my Lt cmnd, moving EPtS2 to 3 and taking EPtW2 on him to make it look like:

Eng Lt. Cmnd: ET1, EPtW2, EPtS3
Eng Cmnd: EPtS1, RSP1, DEM2 or ATSIF2, EWP2 or ETS3
Thoughts?
Here are my thoughts:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ragon+flagship
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I, too, would be interested in seeing this as an ENG captain (although I hope to have a TAC set up shortly).

However, the problem with the Dragon series is that everything except for the Excelsior refit seems to be geared directly towards TAC captains. How well do builds like this actually work for engineers when put on an Assault Cruiser?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamRadio18

Why Fire at Will for PVP rather then Beam Overload or High Yield?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
I, too, would be interested in seeing this as an ENG captain (although I hope to have a TAC set up shortly).

However, the problem with the Dragon series is that everything except for the Excelsior refit seems to be geared directly towards TAC captains. How well do builds like this actually work for engineers when put on an
Assault Cruiser?
They work fine for Engineer captains. Just remember that you won't but out as much DPS as a tac captian.

Quote:
Why Fire at Will for PVP rather then Beam Overload or High Yield?
FAW is great because of two reasons: If you are fighting multiple targets, it will fire at all of them. 2nd, that even if you are just fighting one person that FAW will take down their shields because your beams are hitting them more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Bump. Any thoughts on this build?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Alrighty, long time MMO player, just tried out STO in the F2P and I'm loving. Needless to say, im already Admiral lower! PVP is the end goal here and here is what I'm lookng at running (some of the parts I have already purchased so this is end goal and will transfer later on to vice admiral):

Assault Cruiser
Weapons (All MK X)
Fore: 2 x DBB Disruptor, 2 x BA Disruptor (possibly drop 1 beam array for quantums/Chron)
Aft: 4 x BA Disruptor

Very Rare Covarient shield w/ Cap, Pha, and Tet MK X
Rare Positron Deflector w/Shield emit and something else MK X

Eng Console:
2x Rare MK X EPS, 1x Very rare Force Field, 1x Rare Field Emitter

Tac Console:
3x Rare Disruptor MK X

Sci Console:
1x Rare Bio Monitor MK X, 1x Rare Emitter Array MK X

Boff Skills:
Tac Ensign: Tac Team 1
Tac Lt: Beam overload 1, APB 1

LT. Cmdr Engineer: ET1, EPtS 2, DEM 2
Cmdr Engineer: EPtS 1, EPtW 2, AtSIF 2, RSP 3

Sci LT: ST 1, HE 2

So, I am going to focus on one beam, and I was looking at disruptors for their sweet debuff. However, I hear Tetryon, Polaron, and Plasma are viable PVP. First question is my weapon layout, would it be better to go disruptors or switch to a different beam for PVP. Also, is my setup with DBB going to work for good alpha strike instead of HY1 or 2 (thus switching for moar torps).

My boff are my next concern. So far, this setup has helped my teams and myself stay alive. But I question what versions I have in what spots and I also question DEM2. Is it worth taking DEM or instead grabbing say....aceton beam or Eject Warp plasma??

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks!
are you finding you are even using ET1? wise use if HE and Aux2Sif you should not be hitting ET, and not screwing the cooldown on ST1, which if you pop with EP2S really give you a good shield regen
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I changed things up and I am rocking this now for boffs

Tac:
BO1, APB1
TT1

Eng:
EPtS1, ET2, APtSIF2
EPtW1, RSP1, EPtS3, ES3

SCI:
ST1, HE2

With this, I am planning on switching to FOW1 and maybe 2 also with either TT1, BO2, or APB1

My engineers I can rotate to switch ETS3 for EWP2 for added debuff. I have tried DEM and few times now and find it lack luster.

I am considering EPtA1 for boost during heals and possibly APtID2 for Speed/turn buff.