Lt. Commander
Quote:
Literary Challenge #13 : The Void
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #13 : The Void.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
i wish i could think of something creative for this challange
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm already running 26 hour days with a 4 shift rotation. Hmmm, I wonder where can I squeeze in a few more hours of work out of my crew.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I'll try to do this one when I can think straight. I didn't do the last two partly because of personal reasons (which are very depressing so I wont go into it) and partly because I found them difficult to make something for.

If you want some advice Branflakes, I think your making the premises for these challenges too specific. Look at Wishstone's challenges, they were very loosely structured, they just said "your story must involve this plot point, other than that, go mad!" which is less structured than yours are.

My advice is simple, loosen the reins a little bit, as an example, instead of your current description for the Challenge involving the imposter, it could be more a case of "While on your ship, you receive word of an intruder alert near your position, how shall you solve this predicament?".

This is just my advice, take it as such, I will still try to do these challenges regardless, but I feel less specific premises will allow for more variation in the stories and as such, will make more people do the Challenges as they will feel more comfortable without putting their character in a position they may not necessarily want to be in at this point in time.

P.S. For the love of Quinn people, if I ask for constructive criticism on my story, then please give me some! I do this kind of thing a lot and value my writing and the critique it gets very highly, so its not fun when I ask for feedback and get ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Personally i see them as a guide line so even if they're relatively specific, there is still plenty of leeway. Plus if you ever get a job as a writer then you'll probably come up against a lot of restrictions or suggestions, so it's nice to get specifications every now and then just to see how well you can work your way through or around them.

As for he creative criticism, i wouldn't mind getting some constructive feed back myself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Not enough wiggle room. Don't forget that people Anchor to suggestions. I'm with Blacksabre on this one; keep it loose. The moment the wormhole didn't have stars it killed it for me. The suggestion even wrote itself into a corner.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Meh.. I neither hot nor cold on the back story. But I posted my attempt. Fun way to kill an hour while the servers were down last night. Finished it off a few minutes ago.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
There is some great feedback here. I thought you guys would think that me not posting enough of a background story would be "lazy" :p But, good to know, and I will take this into consideration for the challenge that will be posted up on 03/06.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Just to be annoying, I actually quite like having more details. In the previous challenge I was able to pick up where the intro left off and continue with the story. Had it been more basic, such as 'There is an intruder alert on a space station you are visiting' then my entry would have been at least 50% longer as I went into details of the actual alert itself, possibly bringing into a third post. I want my stories to be a short entertaining read, not a long epic saga that no-one has the time to enjoy and therefore they just skip it.

On a different note, I wouldn't mind some advice from the more experienced writers. How many characters is too many in a story like this?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divvur
On a different note, I wouldn't mind some advice from the more experienced writers. How many characters is too many in a story like this?
Rule of thumb: you can have as many characters as you want but you have to give closure of some sort to each person. Even minor characters should have a point other than "push a button". Otherwise, just save space/time and have the primaries do the work while they setup the scene.

Closure doesn't have to be finality either - often times the most intriguing characters are the ones who have finished a mission but have unfinished emotional drama or closed a chapter in their personal lives but still have some business to take care of elsewhere. Life rarely gives clean breaks; characters are better if they don't have them either.

But that's just a suggestion. Take it as you will.