Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So... is there a chance that we'll ever be able to have shuttles separate from starships? I mean, I know it's unlikely, considering you wouldn't be able to pump money from people for ship slots, but it's kind of bs that I have to buy extra ship slots just to keep a few starships lying around because every ship comes with a shuttle nowadays.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Ideally this would be done in conjunction with a shuttlebay interior. In terms of making money, they could give you say, two shuttle slots for free and you could purchase more for half the cost of ship slots (shuttle =/= ship in terms of value). I think this could make them money in the long run as people would be less reluctant to 'waste' a ship slot on purchasing a shuttle.

Graphically, I'd like to see something similar to the trophy setup. Have maybe four slots or so in the hangar which can be filled with any shuttles you own. Also, there needs to be a couple of different sizes, and at least one version without any opening to space to make sense on the smaller escorts/BOPs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
The downside to the shuttlebay idea is that it's just unrealistic for a lot of ships. The Defiant can't carry anything larger than a Chaffee shuttle, and a Delta Flyer is the biggest the Intrepid can muster. Runabouts are out of the question for any ship smaller than a capital ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
The downside to the shuttlebay idea is that it's just unrealistic for a lot of ships. The Defiant can't carry anything larger than a Chaffee shuttle, and a Delta Flyer is the biggest the Intrepid can muster. Runabouts are out of the question for any ship smaller than a capital ship.
I'm not so sure.

Quite a lot of evidence has mounted for the Defiant to be at least 170 meters, which I believe is the scale they went with in game. Technically, the Defiant relative to DS9 itself was never shown to be less than 200 meters.

Likewise, it probably has at least 5 decks, contrary to the technical manual, since dialogue mentions 5 decks and some visible diagrams show 6.

At 170 meters, that gives about 3 meters clearance on all sides for a runabout to make it out of the bay.

The 120 meters is mostly wishful thinking based on the desire to vindicate the tech manuals.

Here's a shot of the Defiant with a runabout:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...iantdanube.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not so sure.

Quite a lot of evidence has mounted for the Defiant to be at least 170 meters, which I believe is the scale they went with in game. Technically, the Defiant relative to DS9 itself was never shown to be less than 200 meters.

Likewise, it probably has at least 5 decks, contrary to the technical manual, since dialogue mentions 5 decks and some visible diagrams show 6.

At 170 meters, that gives about 3 meters clearance on all sides for a runabout to make it out of the bay.

The 120 meters is mostly wishful thinking based on the desire to vindicate the tech manuals.

Here's a shot of the Defiant with a runabout:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...iantdanube.jpg
It's not necessarily just being able to (barely) get out of the doors. You also have to store it, and be able to move it around inside the shuttlebay. It also needs to balance out with the need for more shuttles(even if they could fit a runabout inside the Defiant shuttlebay, it would be sitting on the doors and filling up the majority of the shuttlebay, leaving absolutely no room for any other craft).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
It's not necessarily just being able to (barely) get out of the doors. You also have to store it, and be able to move it around inside the shuttlebay. It also needs to balance out with the need for more shuttles(even if they could fit a runabout inside the Defiant shuttlebay, it would be sitting on the doors and filling up the majority of the shuttlebay, leaving absolutely no room for any other craft).
well even if they dont technically fit inside of the ship it would still be a cool feature regardless. even if all the ships had the same size and look shuttle bay with space for say 4 or 5 craft, it would atleast be a start.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
It's not necessarily just being able to (barely) get out of the doors. You also have to store it, and be able to move it around inside the shuttlebay. It also needs to balance out with the need for more shuttles(even if they could fit a runabout inside the Defiant shuttlebay, it would be sitting on the doors and filling up the majority of the shuttlebay, leaving absolutely no room for any other craft).
meh, that's what transporters are for, just put a big ol' pad in the cargo bay and beam the sucker in and out of the launch bay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not so sure.

Quite a lot of evidence has mounted for the Defiant to be at least 170 meters, which I believe is the scale they went with in game. Technically, the Defiant relative to DS9 itself was never shown to be less than 200 meters.

Likewise, it probably has at least 5 decks, contrary to the technical manual, since dialogue mentions 5 decks and some visible diagrams show 6.

At 170 meters, that gives about 3 meters clearance on all sides for a runabout to make it out of the bay.

The 120 meters is mostly wishful thinking based on the desire to vindicate the tech manuals.

Here's a shot of the Defiant with a runabout:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...iantdanube.jpg
The Defiant doesn't have a shuttle bay, or it's not suppose to. Also, the Defiant's size has never been established, with it being as large as nearly 300 meters at one time (especially relative to DS9) and as small as 50 meters (relative to the Enterprise-E). The only thing known is how many decks it has. If we were to go to relative size, I believe it was similar in size to the NX-class starship, if not a more tucked in comparably speaking since both the Defiant and the NX-Enterprise share a lot of similarities in deck, bridge, and pretty much every other layout conceivable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
The Defiant doesn't have a shuttle bay, or it's not suppose to. Also, the Defiant's size has never been established, with it being as large as nearly 300 meters at one time (especially relative to DS9) and as small as 50 meters (relative to the Enterprise-E). The only thing known is how many decks it has. If we were to go to relative size, I believe it was similar in size to the NX-class starship, if not a more tucked in comparably speaking since both the Defiant and the NX-Enterprise share a lot of similarities in deck, bridge, and pretty much every other layout conceivable.

The Defiant doens't have a shuttlebay?

Hate to tell you but they shown the Chafee being launched from the Defiant's underside. And there is concept art of what the shuttlebay supposed to look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
So... is there a chance that we'll ever be able to have shuttles separate from starships? I mean, I know it's unlikely, considering you wouldn't be able to pump money from people for ship slots, but it's kind of bs that I have to buy extra ship slots just to keep a few starships lying around because every ship comes with a shuttle nowadays.
When they originally announced us being able to launch shuttles from our ship, I had the idea that we would do similar to how they handled MVAM. Where the primary body switches to the shuttle while in space view and your ship disappears.

All they have to do is have the shuttles appear out of the proper spots for where the shuttlebays are.



However, if they did that, it would be just another reason to go interior ship function taken away. Just like mission replays being moved from the Ready Room to the UI.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not so sure.

Quite a lot of evidence has mounted for the Defiant to be at least 170 meters, which I believe is the scale they went with in game. Technically, the Defiant relative to DS9 itself was never shown to be less than 200 meters.

Likewise, it probably has at least 5 decks, contrary to the technical manual, since dialogue mentions 5 decks and some visible diagrams show 6.

At 170 meters, that gives about 3 meters clearance on all sides for a runabout to make it out of the bay.

The 120 meters is mostly wishful thinking based on the desire to vindicate the tech manuals.

Here's a shot of the Defiant with a runabout:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6...iantdanube.jpg
However, the Defiant is designed to utilize as much space as possible for Weapons, Power, and Armor. It does not have luxury and does not generally leave itself open to things like big shuttle bays. If it has large bays they are probably used to hold Phaser Batteries and Torpedoes.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 PM.