Lt. Commander
Nearly as I can tell nothing has been added in terms of content or functionality to the PvP portion of this game since launch. What I can do in PvP now is much the same as I could have done back when I quit the game 3 months after launch.

Yet over these past two years we have seen additions to nearly every pre-existing aspect of this MMO plus the addition of entirely new forms of gameplay, the DOFF system being one, while PvP has lain stagnant.

I daresay this is the most lamentable and incomprehensible thing I can think of with respect to STO's development since launch, if for no other reason than a mere fraction of the effort that has been expended on other game systems could have afforded PvP players at least one or two other scenarios to explore.

PvP gains its richness from the actions of other players, not by the mere AI event triggers and behaviors programmed to remain inflexible and inherently uninteresting. Yet, PvP remains one of the easiest ways to add value to STO in that conceptually all that is needed is a map, a set of goals, and a way to keep score. No story. No art assets. No voice work. No new ships. No new AI behavior. Just a map, a goal, and a score, yet somehow nothing has been added to PvP in over two years.

I find myself at the point again of asking myself what I am getting out of STO when I am primarily a PvP player and there is exactly 4 things I can do in the game, 2 of which I have no interest in as they are ground-based.

There is Arena. There is Capture and Hold. That's it for anyone interested in space PvP. And that is all there has been since launch. Oh, and I suppose, there are War Zones, most of which are broken, right?

So my question is whether there will ever be anything added to PvP in game as the past two years would indicate that the answer to that is No. Anyone want more PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I hope so......but deep inside i feel thay have made the choice to ignore it...This is based solely on the lack of content for virtually the whole games rxistence other then nerfs.

No new zones.....

PVP does not influece the game in any manner.

The deletion of pvp emblems

No pvp gear

No reason to pvp....dilithium is easily earned other ways more effectively IMO
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2012, 05:00 PM
short answer? no. Cryptic is now only considering additions to the game if they will directly generate cash flow. PvP does not generate cash flow directly. Which means they will not change it.

pretty much end of story.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I dunno. I'd gladly pay for special PvP gear, ships, or bonuses if it would encourage Cryptic to add something to PvP. I am not experienced with how other Free to Play games generate revenue from PvP, but there surely must be other existing models that Cryptic might implement to monetize some portion of PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't think you're going to see PvP-specific items. Too many items in the game have already been nerfed/balanced for PvP. At some point I do expect to see more maps added, and probably some new objectives. And there's always talk of the capture zone.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
all i ask for is a random map generator... then they can ignore us
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Well, Dan Stahl did mention new war zones in the last interview. And War Zones are technically PvP. (And exactly the stuiff that might make me buy a lifetime gold membership, btw.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
all i ask for is a random map generator... then they can ignore us
Founrdy Support for PvP! And we can make all the maps and game modes we want and never talk to a content designer for PvP again. (We'll still hold Heretic, CaptainGeko and BranFlakes hostage, I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Yes, that would, you know, make a lot of sense.

War zones with Klingon and Fed NPCs and faction-specific spawn points and real objectives other than "blow the others up". That would be cool.
And we could always tell the noobs:
"Back in the days, we had just one spawn point among 20 players across 2 factions! And the Borgs weren't just everywhere around the nodes - they were _in_ the nodes! Heck, just to get to Ker'rat, we had to go uphill!"