Lt. Commander
I will admit I am still pretty new to the game and while trying to keep up on the news etc, there is still a lot I don't know about. Such as this beast of a ship. It seems to be a carrier, which leads me to believe it would be a good addition to the Fed side since the Klingons have a carrier already. That and it's just a freaking blimp like mountain of goodness I'd happily sink my wallet into. This is the second time I've spotted them in a mission:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...9-17-01-46.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...9-17-01-21.jpg

It's probably already been talked about, etc, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to find out more info on it, so I thought I'd bring it here. Sure, it probably has a turn rate of 2 and an impulse speed of 50 but man if I don't still want one
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
That's the mighty Jupiter Class Dreadnought. It's not in the game. Much like the Typhoon Class it's just an NPC ship, so far.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh man I would love that ship It'd be like flying a moon! Thanks for the input. Very curious reading. I missed out on the ask cryptic thing or I would have asked if they were still planning on adding the beast to the game. 1v1 carrier combat? Longest battle ever, but it'd be EPIC.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
For reference, the term Dreadnought rarely if ever can be applied to a Carrier type of ship. Typically the term Dreadnought (at least within the Navies of most of the real world) references a type of ship that utilizes large amounts of guns, usually with really high caliber ammunition.

As such the use of the Exploration Class Dreadnought as a Gunship is typical for what can be expected of most Dreadnoughts. As such I highly expect that if the Jupiter Class Dreadnought is added to the game, it too will be designed explicitly for the purpose of being a gun ship, though on a much grander scale than even the Exploration Class Dreadnought.

My personal opinion is that the Federation does not really need a carrier type ship, but that is a discussion best saved for the thread specifically designated for that topic in another section of this forum.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henshin_Cyborg
Thanks Henshin! I'm flattered someone beat me to the re-direct :^D

Yes, as everyone has said that ship is in-fact the Jupiter Class Dreadnought. Unfortunately as of now it is not in the game as a playable ship and it now only appears to be in 2 missions.

My Thread has many pages of discussion and possible builds/ideas for what type of ship it should be. Come in and join the discussion!

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I dunno about you guys but we can only hope they replace the typhoon and the jupiter in the missions that they appear with newer ships that look less like strange kitbash stuff... the typhoon is especially guilty of this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Personally I don't think the Jupiter /should/ be available. It looks more like a mobile starbase than a starship, and is about the size of a mobile star base. It would be a bit of a strain on resources if they started handing more than 2 or 3 of the things out =3
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
10,000 crew anyone? lol
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasafras
I will admit I am still pretty new to the game and while trying to keep up on the news etc, there is still a lot I don't know about. Such as this beast of a ship. It seems to be a carrier, which leads me to believe it would be a good addition to the Fed side since the Klingons have a carrier already. [snip...]
Cryptic has quite clearly stated that there will never, ever be a fed carrier. [that doesn't come in a lockbox :p]