Lt. Commander
# 1 John Carter
03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Went to John Carter today and it was an excellent romp.

It stays faithful to the source material while not being exact to the letter. There are changes to the story, but most of these were done to provide emotional context without massive exposition and to provided needed compression to fit within a 2 hour feature.

If you like swashbuckling and carnage, adventure and thrills on a grand scale this film is for you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I want to share what an impressive film this is as well. I encourage people to see this one on the big screen. 2D or 3D. Either one will do. I really felt that Mars (Barsoon) and its alien cultures were seamless. It has a lot going for it as a standalone film. Though I'm hoping for a strong enough showing to support at least one more film in the setting.

As I watched this story, I considered that much of today's sci-fi owes a lot to Burrough's John Carter series of books. Both George Lucas and James Cameron, for example, must have read this series as young readers. Ironically, without both their film making careers this movie might not have translated as smoothly as it does.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2012, 07:56 AM
So it's faithful to the comic huh?

Not sure though, seemed Disney made it too younger age though..
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Not the comic, the Novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

A Princess of Mars

In the novel, there was far more exposition about John Carter's state of mind, about why emotionally he was ready to leave Earth and make Mars his home, and about the cultures of Barsoom. They streamlined the story, and made changes that conveyed the emotional state in a more concise manner. There were things that were cut, but if they were added I am hard pressed to name what could else could be cut to allow additional material to be added.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I wish they had more John Carter merchandise. Where's the John Carter action figures, models of the Martian airships, the John Carter video game, and the Whoola plush toy?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd love to see this film. However, after reading this article a while ago I was hoping that one day a film would be made.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/johncarter.html (article has isn't kid-friendly)

Now I gotta read those books first though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Went to John Carter today and it was an excellent romp.

It stays faithful to the source material while not being exact to the letter. There are changes to the story, but most of these were done to provide emotional context without massive exposition and to provided needed compression to fit within a 2 hour feature.

If you like swashbuckling and carnage, adventure and thrills on a grand scale this film is for you.
Agreed. I really liked the movie overall.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Loved It!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I'm not with you with John Carter.

Here is my problem: It fell in with a Bad Theme for movies lately.

What I mean by Bad Theme;

Cowboys vs Aliens... Horrible movie. I felt sorry for Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde for getting involved in that... thing...

Outlander, which is basically Vikings vs Aliens, a B movie with a decent budget.

Now John Carter....
I admit, I know nothing about him other than the movie trailers, but I can't help but add it to the previous bad theme. Why?
I look at the trailer and see: Conan vs Aliens...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Sorry, I'm not with you with John Carter.

Here is my problem: It fell in with a Bad Theme for movies lately.

What I mean by Bad Theme;

Cowboys vs Aliens... Horrible movie. I felt sorry for Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig and Olivia Wilde for getting involved in that... thing...

Outlander, which is basically Vikings vs Aliens, a B movie with a decent budget.

Now John Carter....
I admit, I know nothing about him other than the movie trailers, but I can't help but add it to the previous bad theme. Why?
I look at the trailer and see: Conan vs Aliens...
I will grant you that the trailers suck. This film is soooooo much better than those trailers. If nothing else "John Carter" is a good fun entertaining two hours.

PS: John Carter predates Conan the Barbarian by 20 years.