Lt. Commander
# 1 He's dead, Jim.
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Given how (relatively) easy it is to not only get new BOffs but (at higher levels especially), how terrible would it be to make it possible for them to be KIA from time to time? Then the new ones could come in and replace them.

I know that the only times cast members left from the TV shows, their characters generally did not die. I'm thinking of Drs. Crusher and Pulaski from TNG, and Kes from Voyager. The one exception was Jadzia Dax, and even so Dax was still around in Ezri.

This could be something limited to the maximum Difficulty rating, or a new one (or even a completely separate switch) could be added,

What do the rest of you in the community think of this idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgreenwade View Post
Given how (relatively) easy it is to not only get new BOffs but (at higher levels especially), how terrible would it be to make it possible for them to be KIA from time to time? Then the new ones could come in and replace them.

I know that the only times cast members left from the TV shows, their characters generally did not die. I'm thinking of Drs. Crusher and Pulaski from TNG, and Kes from Voyager. The one exception was Jadzia Dax, and even so Dax was still around in Ezri.

This could be something limited to the maximum Difficulty rating, or a new one (or even a completely separate switch) could be added,

Add Tasha Yar to that. No, I do not like that idea. I like my Boffs alive.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
No thanks, DOff die and that's enough for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
No thanks, DOff die and that's enough for me.
Not only do Doffs die, but they do it on vacation on Risa!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Looking for jamaharon in all the wrong places, perhaps?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
You can easily "kill" your BO's by dismissing them, if you like, and then commission a new one. They are "dead" because you can never get them back*

*( Except by commissioning a new one and changing the likeness/skills to match -- The STO version of Tasha/Sela ).
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
At least they died happy lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgreenwade View Post

I don't really like it for a couple of reasons.

1) If one of my Bridge Officers die, then I have to retrain a new one which takes skill points that I would have to build up

and

2) I would lose those powers (both ground and space) that said Bridge Officer had and then, when on the search for another one, I would have to find one with the exact same powers or have to retrain my main character to suit the Bridge Officer [costing me a retrain token]

I agree with another poster in this topic who said it's enough that Duty Officers die. I would rather just leave my Bridge Officers alone. I mean, I know it's "Star Trek", but I shouldn't have to be like Kirk and internally worry every time I bring my team on a mission whether they're all gonna make it back alive.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I for one would prefer crippling, maiming scars.

"He's lost a leg, Jim."

"Just replicate a new one for him!"
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2012, 12:08 AM
My BO's are just fine and dandy thanks...

You can always self-enforce your suggestion... Everytime a BO dies, you dismiss him/her with all her gear (I mean... Gear gets destroyed too right?)...