Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 The Foundry Awards
03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I just played a series of Foundry missions that made my jaw drop. The author is a genius and it shows in the way he told the story from start to finish.

I know that Cryptic has been "talking" about getting some kind of recognition going for Foundry offers but it just isn't coming soon. All the while people are laboring away at the Foundry with really no recognition of the stellar efforts they are putting into it. It's also getting vastly more difficult to identify content worth playing since we only have a 5 star rating system, and it just doesn't cut it.

Who should do this? Should a committee be elected somehow within the STO community or should an already established community like STOked take over this (I know they have the Foundry files but it's not an awards thing)?

I'd volunteer to kick up something but I think it really should be a group effort. I'd like to see the awards come out first, second, and third prize biweekly and get announced in as many places as possible (STOked, SSR, forums, etc.)

I think it's definitely time to give our authors the recognition they deserve. They are the key to generating the new content that Cryptic is just so lax in producing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
What mission was it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
You can tip in dil, but I agree, something more would be appropriate. Perhaps their own kind of accolade/title system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
You can tip in dil, but I agree, something more would be appropriate. Perhaps their own kind of accolade/title system.
This is more out of game kinda like STOked has but not just one or two missions rated but a bunch. They do a good job it's just they use the same 5 point system I think Cryptic uses. An accolade system would be great but I don't think Cryptic will put the effort into it.

I thought Stahl was supposed to do this when he got back but he was promoted back to EP again and didn't do anything to promote the Foundry. Now that we are going into another content black hole I think getting something in place now is really important to get everyone motivated.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
What mission was it?
The Atlas Files by Nagorak. Absolutely awesome Star Trek writing.

It is EXTREMELY heavy in the dialog area but I'm telling you well worth it. He put in a brilliant branching system that really captures what you do throughout the mission series. You need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours (2 for the full experience with optionals) but it's very well worth it. It makes you feel just like you are walking through a real live Star Trek episode and your dialog and combat makes a difference.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks, I'll try it later.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
The Atlas Files by Nagorak. Absolutely awesome Star Trek writing.

It is EXTREMELY heavy in the dialog area but I'm telling you well worth it. He put in a brilliant branching system that really captures what you do throughout the mission series. You need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours (2 for the full experience with optionals) but it's very well worth it. It makes you feel just like you are walking through a real live Star Trek episode and your dialog and combat makes a difference.
I second this it is truly fantastic. Also I would recommend "Not Our War" its more action oriented but it still has a deep story and excellent dialogue options.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjames3653
I second this it is truly fantastic. Also I would recommend "Not Our War" its more action oriented but it still has a deep story and excellent dialogue options.
Agree with that one as well! Included with this should be a hall of fame I think recognizing the true hardcore authors out there.

I'm going to get moving on this. I have a rating system in thinking about so I'll post that soon. Please anyone who is interested in becoming a committee member please post here. We will start by selecting the well knowns like those listed above and get what we what we can from more missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Nagorak has been the only author I happily tipped max dilithium to for each mission and 5 stars for what little their worth.

Make sure to start playing his mission "Dereliction Duty" which sets up the atlas affair missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
Who should do this? Should a committee be elected somehow within the STO community or should an already established community like STOked take over this (I know they have the Foundry files but it's not an awards thing)?
That was the topic of the most recent Foundry conference call:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=254489
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 PM.