Lt. Commander
I like the idea of having more immersion. It is nice to be able to walk around the ship every now and then to look at things, BUT:

There is this 19th century invention called the phone, that would work just great for most of what happens in the assignment business. I do not like to run around just to ask people whats up, when i can do it from the comfort of my chair as well. Why would this be different in the future?

We simply need the ability to access the various department lists from outside the ship (be that sector space or on foot).. there is no reason really not to do this. On some ships, you can access all departments from a single console.. this is already a lot better than what I have on my standard ship, where i have to visit 7 different officers at 4 different locations to get the full picture. It is - however - far from being the best possible solution.

Fact: there is a lot more going on inside the ship now, that requires a lot more attention to deal with
Fact: (though a subjective one) the ship interiors are UGLY
Fact: the load times between sector changes are too long even on my SSD driven monster rig. Having to wait 5-10 seconds to go from the bridge to the crew deck is NOT acceptable if you have to do that several times in short succession. I don't even want to think about how I would hate this game if it weren't for the SSD speeding things up.
Fact: The novelty value of the officers that you can talk to wears out kinda fast and is replaced by increasing frustration over the added need for micromanagement.

Considering all these facts, I suggest you consider the above mentioned idea of creating several new sections in the assignment journal below personal..

Same goes for location specific assignment 'vendors'. There is no reason for me to meet with the Andorian representative in a back alley to arrange a cultural exchange when we can do that just as fine over the phone.

If there is some special assignment vendor that you want to 'hide', then this makes sense.. but for the guys that are always available and provide the same general assignments.. this only makes our life all that harder.

Fix it. Thanks.

EDIT: Also - as it is right now, you can try to start missions that are on cooldown (from the various shipboard NPC menus) only to get a message from the system that it failed to start the mission. This is highly annoying and leads to lots of confusion as it gives no indication as of why it failed.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
I rest my case. Thats precisely what i've had in mind to solve this. Though the obvious question still begs itself.. if you were aware that the current system is irritating, then why push it out in its current form?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csebal View Post
I rest my case. Thats precisely what i've had in mind to solve this. Though the obvious question still begs itself.. if you were aware that the current system is irritating, then why push it out in its current form?
Development is a moving target.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Development is a moving target.
Trip it. (+char)
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoratusAlpha
Trip it. (+char)
I think you meant "Gravity Well" or "Stasis Field".
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2012, 01:36 PM
I think people would have been fine with walking to the officers inside the ship if it would have been clear that it is a daily thing.

I don't mind visiting my own ship, SFA, DS9, sector 1-11 once a day to see what's up. It's the daily tour. No problem to add my own ship to it.

The misconception that made people irritated, was that we thought, we had to check every hour/every sector. Because of the filter-bug.

edit: It's actually kinda said now, that because of this miscommunication, the department-buttons will go to the GUI and shipboard is degraded back a little as a outrage/damage-control measure. Outrage that turned out to be not justified IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovok View Post
I think people would have been fine with walking to the officers inside the ship if it would have been clear that it is a daily thing.

I don't mind visiting my own ship, SFA, DS9, sector 1-11 once a day to see what's up. It's the daily tour. No problem to add my own ship to it.

The misconception that made people irritated, was that we thought, we had to check every hour/every sector. Because of the filter-bug.

edit: It's actually kinda said now, that because of this miscommunication, the department-buttons will go to the GUI and shipboard is degraded back a little as a outrage/damage-control measure. Outrage that turned out to be not justified IMO.
It also wasnt clearly pointed out that this was more for the DOFF chains and not required to visit. You could still do sector and personal missions without ever going to your bridge. It is more of a bonus mission zone.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2012, 01:33 AM
I like the changes, but I was never OCD about doing all the chains etc. Perhaps make a ship's interior 1 map where the turbolifts stealth teleported a character from 1 deck to another. I don't have an issue doing rounds as a captain.

I would like it if the officers we check status of what's available were our Department heads instead of generic officers. Perhaps @ somepoint model the doffs so we see the 5 we assign to ships duties, passengers in the mess hall, and prisoners in the brig as well. One last wishlist would be to have a cargo hold where we could access our personal bank and access mail from the bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Before the patch I didn't know what to do with all the contraband, now I don't know where to get enough from. That's the worst ***** you could do...well you did it and saved me some bucks I would have spent on roster extensions, thanks. And yes, I found the marauding contact on my ship.

The extreme timesink you created with this changes would have been enoug, in other MMOs cutting down useless running/travelling time is one of the most important points but here? Well, at least this will be fixed.