Lt. Commander
# 1 Sharien's Swords Stalemate
03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Playing the Sharien's Swords mission and stuck on a stalemate with the first ship in the mission, the D'Deridex Defender. The thing heals faster than I can damage it, but it doesn't have enough firepower to do more than annoy me. After a 15 minute fight I just gave up, Evasived out of weapons range, warped out of the system. There some way to make it stop spamming powers on a 15-second cooldown or something?

Running a Recon Science Ship with an engineer captain, 4 Phased Polaron Arrays, 2 Quantum Torps, all Mk XI. My damage-dealing BOFF powers are Gravity Well 2, Charged Particle Burst 2 (which I don't really like but don't see anything else to put in the slot), High Yield Torp 2, Fire At Will 1. Power levels are 95/58/58/73.

This guy isn't deadly, just obnoxious. So whats the trick that makes him die?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Nobody? Hmm. Well what if broaden the question to how do you kill a rapid-healer other than More Dakka?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I never got this problem with any D'deridex ever. o.O

Your setup isn't mine, but you should have everything you need to take it down. Never had such troubles in my own Luna-class, and my Odyssey cruiser can pretty swiftly turn a D'deridex to space debris on normal difficulty. The D'deridex can be a bit tricky and might last longer than most battleship critter ships - but it's hardly impossible to beat.

Subnucleonic beam puts a cold stop on healing due to the increased cooldowns. If you're a science captain, you ought to have access to that. Other than that, just pounding hard on it ought to have sufficed. In a way, Mogais are more troublesome because they use tactical team to even out thier shield facings, and that helps them last longer. The D'deridex's claim to fame is usually more stuff like Viral Matrix, Tractor Beam, Photonic Shockwave and the High Yield Plasma Torpedo volley.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Well its not a standard D'Deridex, thats the thing. Normal ones are a cakewalk for me. This new Defender version is popping off Science Team, Aux To Structural, and Feedback Pulse as quickly as they cool down, (and probably some other stuff I'm not catching), and has stronger hull and shields besides. Same apparent offense as before though, which is why we're stalemated. My normal tactic of grind-down won't work against a tank build, and I've got more heals than he has guns.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
This is the kind of thing I wish I could see for myself. If you want to come online, I'd actually would like to help you try to beat it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Go run Sharien's Swords in the Romulan story arc. First ship you'll run into when you jump in system. Of course then you'll find it too easy and I'll feel like a complete idiot.