Lt. Commander
For those of you that do not know me, my name is Brian and on here I go by the handle Evil 70th.

In my real world life I retired from the U.S. Navy in 2006 after 24 years and went to work for a large U.S. Government contractor as a system administrator, curriculum developer, and tech writer for a variety of computer systems and software.

I have been playing Star Trek Online from the beginning and am a lifer. In my time here I have played many missions and have done more than 100 mission reviews for Foundry authors On The Foundry For Star Trek Online - Mission Database in the ”In depth mission reports upon request” forum posting. Over in the Foundry forums I have been talking about bringing my evaluations to the Cryptic line of missions on STO, so now is as good a time as any.

I will update this forum posting as often as I am able to, based on my real life commitments and those of the Foundry mission reviews I have committed to.

Thanks,
Brian
Lt. Commander
Federation Mission - Skirmish
Author: Cryptic
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: Cryptic

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good mission with great map design and detailed story dialogue. I would highly recommend this mission to anyone who likes good maps with tough, but fun battles and great story dialogue.

The response button “Continue” is used throughout this mission, from a standard response to general log entries through BOFF reports. In the log entries it is perfectly appropriate to use “Continue” to proceed with the rest of an entry. However the use in response to BOFF reports and especially recommendations just doesn’t feel right. For example; “Captain, the bridge is on fire and we must evacuate!” to which the player replies via the response button, “Continue.” Does that read or feel right to anyone?

I do understand why I see more authors in the Foundry using this as a response. If Cryptic is using it then it must be alright. Now don’t get me wrong, in my opinion the author must ultimately decide how to tell the story, but one of the goals should be to make the player feel more a part of the story. Mind you in this mission that is the only think I noted as an issue but it illustrates my overall point.

Below are a couple things I noted while playing the mission. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good, detailed description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This initial task is good with a clear location for the start of the first mission map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a standard mission entry prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Donatu System: This is a good map design with a good battle and well written dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The use of the response button “Continue” in general and when used as a response to a BOFF report or recommendation.

Axon: This is a great map design with tough, but fun battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The use of the response button “Continue” in general and when used as a response to a BOFF report or recommendation.

---------End Report----------

This is a good mission in the Cryptic Federation series. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Brian
Lt. Commander
(Cryptic) Klingon Mission - Blood of the Empire
Author: Cryptic
Allegiance: Klingon
Project ID: Cryptic

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a great mission which makes my Klingon blood boil at the sting of glorious battle. The map designs are excellent and the battles glorious throughout. The story dialogue is very well written. I would highly recommend this mission to any Klingon faction member who loves a good short story combined with many glorious space and ground battles.

Below as with my other mission review for the Federation mission “Skirmish” I recommend the authors of the mission take a good hard look at the use of the response buttons. In general terms “Continue” works for generalized log information or in circumstances were the player’s response is not necessarily needed or required. However this should be looked at when it concerns dialogue that contains a question that is directed at a player or when a BOFF makes a report or gives a suggested course of action. The uses of “Continue” are the only issues I noted below.

Below are a couple things I noted while playing the mission. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good, detailed description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This initial task is good with a clear location for the start of the first mission map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a standard mission entry prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Norgh System: This is a good map design with glorious battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:

Praxis Belt: This is a good map design with glorious battles and well written dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The use of the response button “Continue”.

First City: This is a good map design with glorious battles and good dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:

KDF Headquarters: This is a great map design with many glorious battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:

---------End Report----------

This is a good mission in the Cryptic Klingon series. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Brian