Lt. Commander
I just checked out 5-6 different analytics sites. While they each have unique estimates for STO's site traffic, I'm noticing a trend with all of them.

Site traffic improved by around 200-300% around Free to Play launch and continued to spike into early February.

But it's been declining since then. Sharply.

The site appears to have lost at least 50% of its gains since F2P and some estimates are showing the site it is no more popular than it was in late December, with numbers still falling.

You can't really go with the hard numbers from these sites but they do show trends and the trend lines have points that are similar.

And one thing I am seeing is that the first part of Featured Episodes seem to trigger big spikes (maybe as much as a 50% boost in active users) but that the returns dwindle before an FE series is even over. And it also looks like the spikes from FEs dwindle down to nothing after about 5-6 months without any.

I wonder if this ties into the uncertainty about FEs and new trend towards standalone releases like the Friday the 13th episode.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it is working as intended but my geuss is it works...

I am quite confident that the Grab Bags have earned plenty of money, and will continue up to a certain point, but as with everything, at some point its gonna reach it's saturation point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Spike for FE was to be expected. First new content in a year. Nothing since FE to really keep people around though. They will probably say, financially speaking, that they are doing fine with F2P because of people's irresistible urges to waste loads of money on the stupid lock box lottery gimmicks. It will never happen, but I would laugh my tail off if every single player quit purchasing master keys and supporting lock boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting, I'd be curious to see those stats, if you can pm them, that would be wonderful, or give me a clue as to 1 how to find them and 2 read them, i'd like to educate myself on this.

I'm actually not surprised by this decline, if it is in fact, true. The game is still suffering from many problems it has had since launch. An under developed faction, lack of content, restrictive and illogical design for one of the main "players" in the game (ship tiers) plus many other things. All of those will lead folks to abandon the game. They will also come back to see the new content (amazing how that works, build it, they come) but once again, the over lying issues will crop up and the enthusiasm, will go away.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
Interesting, I'd be curious to see those stats, if you can pm them, that would be wonderful, or give me a clue as to 1 how to find them and 2 read them, i'd like to educate myself on this.

I'm actually not surprised by this decline, if it is in fact, true. The game is still suffering from many problems it has had since launch. An under developed faction, lack of content, restrictive and illogical design for one of the main "players" in the game (ship tiers) plus many other things. All of those will lead folks to abandon the game. They will also come back to see the new content (amazing how that works, build it, they come) but once again, the over lying issues will crop up and the enthusiasm, will go away.
I looked at Trafficestimate.com, Mydnstats.com, Google Adplanner.com, Alexa.com, Compete.com, and Quantcast.com.

You can't trust the exact numbers from any of them. I'm just looking at the similarities in their trend lines.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that these sites only show traffic patterns to the STO website. One only needs to ever go to the website once and that is to create an account and download the game. Therefore, the trends that you claim these sites are showing would be inaccurate, since the people that actually spend time on the STO website are known to be the vocal minority of the game's community as a whole. These sites may show a trend in less *new* players downloading the client from the website, but not necessarily show a trend in whether the game community has dropped. And there is certainly not enough garbage data mined from these sites to even begin to make an inflammatory question as to whether or not F2P is working.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
According to the last shareholders call, there has been a huge increase in paying subs since the game went F2P; more people are paying to play the game than were about 6 months after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synther View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that these sites only show traffic patterns to the STO website. One only needs to ever go to the website once and that is to create an account and download the game. Therefore, the trends that you claim these sites are showing would be inaccurate, since the people that actually spend time on the STO website are known to be the vocal minority of the game's community as a whole. These sites may show a trend in less *new* players downloading the client from the website, but not necessarily show a trend in whether the game community has dropped. And there is certainly not enough garbage data mined from these sites to even begin to make an inflammatory question as to whether or not F2P is working.
100 percent true
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synther View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that these sites only show traffic patterns to the STO website. One only needs to ever go to the website once and that is to create an account and download the game. .....

These sites may show a trend in less *new* players downloading the client from the website, but not necessarily show a trend in whether the game community has dropped. And there is certainly not enough garbage data mined from these sites to even begin to make an inflammatory question as to whether or not F2P is working.
actually it is an indicator of a problem with specifics to this game.
STO suffers from a distinct lack of content, equal factions and end game. This means that a percentage of players will play the game, then leave. when that percentage hits a number that is higher than your "intake" of new players, you will by default, have a decline in player base. Given the fact that STO has trendable numbers indicating as you have said less folks are going to the site to get the game, it is in fact a semi decent indication of a drop in new players, meaning it is getting closer to the "nexus point" of leaving players and arriving players.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Traffic activity does not necessarily translate to $$$$. I haven't increased my activity any, but I have purchased way more c-points than ever in the past. Since F2P launch, I have spent about 3x more than over any similar period time.